Charging Keg with CO2 Using Bike Tire Inflater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Brew2Brew

Reaction score
Another question I have yet to find a definitive answer to:

Can you use a CO2 bike tire inflater that fits Schrader valves to charge your keg through a Ball Lock 1/4" MFL quick connect coupler?

I already have a CO2 tire inflater and would rather not drop the money on another single-purpose gadget.

What I'm asking is will an inflater that fits Schrader valves also fit MFLs? And, if not, are there Schrader to MFL adapters readily available? And, if so, where? (Because all my google skills were useless to find one).

Thanks for your help!

Just a warning, a buddy of mine used one on his doppelbock and used a cartridge meant for co2 pellet guns and he claims it gave the beer an oily taste. Im not sure if its that particular type of cartridge or if there is better suited cartridges.

Another question I have yet to find a definitive answer to:

Can you use a CO2 bike tire inflater that fits Schrader valves to charge your keg through a Ball Lock 1/4" MFL quick connect coupler?

I already have a CO2 tire inflater and would rather not drop the money on another single-purpose gadget.

What I'm asking is will an inflater that fits Schrader valves also fit MFLs? And, if not, are there Schrader to MFL adapters readily available? And, if so, where? (Because all my google skills were useless to find one).

Thanks for your help!

I know these are around. I got a few portable eye wash stations on ebay that had 10-gallon corny kegs as part of the setup. They had a schrader valve setup to pressurize the tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371238655405?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I converted the tanks to cornys and added ball-lock posts. I tossed the parts. I don't know where you'd find replacement parts for one. I'd search online for a place that sells parts for the eye wash stations.

That being said, you're probably better off just buying a kit that's designed for use on a ball lock/pin lock keg. They are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/compact-co2-injector-ball-lock-fitting-compact-co2-injector.html

Absolutely you can. This is what I do. I went this direction because I read numerous complaints of those plastic inflators exploding in people's hands. No bueno. The PDW inflator is quite robust. I feature it in my "Brew like a Bachelor" course. No complaints and it still inflates tires too!

As other posters mentioned, get the food grade cartridges.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=254303&stc=1&d=1423231457

CO2.jpg.jpeg

The problem I see with that design above, and what happens with mine, is you aren't able to control the 10psi or whatever you want it to be. When you open the CO2 valve it releases the gas at full volume. The pressure gauge needle will surge up to 50 then drop back down because you're unable to have a constant 10 lbs of beer.

You could cut a lot of plumbing out and connect a bike CO2 pump to a Gas keg fitting and use it 'as needed' on a keg. When it pours slow out it on, give the keg a burp, and remove. I was given one with a keg and it is really fancy looking with a valve and gauge and even with the needle valve you can't set it to a consistent serving PSI so you leave it in and no one can mess up your keg by adding more than enough gas.

I've never seen that picture but I'm pretty sure that PDW "shiny object" is supposed to be a regulator? If so, you would be able to control pressure with it.

Latest posts

Back