Charcoal or Propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Sounds good and with some heat too!

I basically drizzle some olive oil on the tenderloin and give it a good rub with some Dizzy Pig Ragin River rub. I cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate overnight.

I fire up the egg to about 350 and just turn it every 5 minutes or so for 30 minutes and pull it off when the internal temp hits 145 degrees. It's then served with Raspberry Chipotle sauce.

Pork tenderloins are a family favorite and a quick meal when done on the egg.

Rule of thumb when dealing with lean meats is hot and fast. With fatty and tough meats, it's low & slow so the fat and connective tissue can render out.

I used to have both propane and a charcoal grill. I have since bought a traeger and will never go back to either. The Traeger is a smoker/grill/oven. It uses all natural wood pellets as fuel source. The only draw back to it is that it is electric, so it must be plugged in to use it. They are expensive, but well worth every dime. People that have eaten the food off of my grill want to know the secret, there isn't one with this grill. Even if you don't know how to grill/cook, you can on a traeger.

Always and only natural lump charcoal... lit the good old fashioned way. I cant stand the taste and smell of lighter fluid in my meat.

BTW fired up some antelope loin chops this afternoon with a light salt, chilli and oregano rub... delish.

rustang64 said:
Always and only natural lump charcoal... lit the good old fashioned way. I cant stand the taste and smell of lighter fluid in my meat.

BTW fired up some antelope loin chops this afternoon with a light salt, chilli and oregano rub... delish.

Missoula, eh? My dad lives in Darby.

I have an electric smoker, a propane grill, and a charcoal grill. I would say it all depends on what I am cooking. If it is a fillet then I can only use hot hot gas flame. Pork Butt gets smoked in the electric water smoker with chunks of crabapple wood. But hamburgers and hot dogs use charcoal if I have the time and motivation. I would guess that the charcoal gets the least use.

I have a Weber gas, Cook Shack Smoker, La Caja China & a Traeger Pellet Grill.

I use the Traeger the most, I describe it as halfway between a smoker and a charcoal grill.

bbq100.jpg

I'm charcoal all the way. Just bought one of these a couple weeks back:

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

One of these days I'll have the money to get a really nice charcoal grill but for now this little baby is great. For the OSU/UM game I fit 6 racks of baby backs on her with a nice hot fire in the smoke box. Kept it around 200-225F for about 5 hours, they were delicious. I also have a Weber kettle I bought almost 5 years ago and I still use it, great for when I just need to cook a couple steaks for the wife and I.

If anyone's looking for a good deal on natural lump charcoal one of the best I've found is Ace Hardware, providing you have an Ace near you. You can order it online for $0.50 a pound and have delivered to the store for no charge.

What? Seriously, nobody mentioned this?

george-foreman-grill.jpg

*dodges burning lump coal thrown in his direction

I have to admit I do use one of these guys every now and then, but I don't have a patio, porch, or garage, so my choices are pretty limited :D. My folks at home love to grill with briquettes on a weber, though. Those towers are indeed great for getting them started.

EDIT: And geebus those eggs are pricey! It's just high-temp ceramic! Those guys know how to successfully run a high-margin business, looks like :p.

Anytime I cook something in propare it reminds me of a household furnace. I use charchol despite the fact it is a PITA and more expensive. Just like I homebrew rather than buy BMC. Some will say that's apples to oranges, but heck that's my take.

Ah. YOu guys got me all worked up for an Egg. Then I saw the price. Sorry, but that is VERY unrealistic for me. Perhaps if I recieved an inheritance someday...

My plain jane gas grill works pretty good for my grilling needs. But, I think I may be spoiled now, after reading up on the egg, and seeing all that tender and delicious food being cooked on it.

7 year old POS propane grill here. It's definitely seen better days and needs to be replaced. I am actually looking forward to scalping the starters and the side burner off of it for the brew rig.

Haven't decided on a replacement for it yet.

Latest posts

Back