changing regulator co2 connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayUnt

Reaction score
I have started the process of getting into kegging. I got some pin lock kegs and i got a 2 keg basic keg kit from kegconnection.

The problem I am having is that the co2 tank that came with it is a paintball canister. I brought it to the only local place that fills beverage co2 and they say they cant fill it. I need to get a different tank that looks more like this one.

So my question is, how do i change my regulator to be able to use this new tank? The co2 part of the regulator at midwest look different then the one that I got.

It looks like I can get a co2 connection stem and a co2 connection nut, and be good to go. Is that right/all i need/totally wrong?

The guys at the co2 place said i can google "cga-320 to bev system" and find an adaptor. But I wasn't able to find anything, but that could be because I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks for your help.

Those are the correct things you need. You just have to verify whether your regulator has a left-hand or right-hand thread on the input. You will also need a plastic or fiber washer to seal the connection.

That said, buy them from someplace other than Midwest Supply. There are two threads going discussing their unprofessional handling of credit card numbers. Many members have experienced card fraud after placing orders with them.

the paintball cylinder is a pin type connector meaning a pin pushers on the inside of the cylinder and allows the CO2 to flow. you need to change that part. i would buy a new regulator and save that as a backup. i have an adapter that goes from my reg to a 20oz paintball tank.

hah. I actually was one of those people who had their credit card stolen after buying kegs from midwest. But in the apology letter they sent me, they gave me a $25 coupon. So I was just going to use that coupon to get this. And then from now on, if i do use them, just use paypal. Since i hear its a lot more secure. the connection nut is out of stock, so i might just go somewhere else after all. I have a beer that will be ready in 2 weeks, so i would like to get my first keg in.

JDGator, I think they guy at the co2 place was talking about that adaptor. But that is the reverse I would need. I would need a reg tank to paintball regulator connection.

From looking up what right hand thread and left hand thread means. I think i have a right hand. However, on the connection nut, midwest says the left hand is more common, so that is making me second guess myself.

Thanks for all your help

The crazy thing is most of the time those oddball adapters are going to be more expensive than just buying a stem and nut.

As far as LH vs RH, it refers to the threading on the high pressure side of the regulator. So if the paintball fitting unscrews from the regulator with a left twist (lefty loosey) then it's a standard right hand (righty tighty) thread. If you have to turn it to the right to loosen it, then it's a left hand thread.

The connection nut will always be right hand.

JayUnt said:
I have started the process of getting into kegging. I got some pin lock kegs and i got a 2 keg basic keg kit from kegconnection.

The problem I am having is that the co2 tank that came with it is a paintball canister. I brought it to the only local place that fills beverage co2 and they say they cant fill it. I need to get a different tank that looks more like this one.

So my question is, how do i change my regulator to be able to use this new tank? The co2 part of the regulator at midwest look different then the one that I got.

It looks like I can get a co2 connection stem and a co2 connection nut, and be good to go. Is that right/all i need/totally wrong?

The guys at the co2 place said i can google "cga-320 to bev system" and find an adaptor. But I wasn't able to find anything, but that could be because I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why don't you take it to a paintball place to have it filled? I think you will like the bigger tank better anyway though.

From what I read, paintball co2 can have oil in it. which i don't really want in my beer. I called Sports Authority and asked them if they have oil in their co2, and they asked why and i told them. They said they cant fill it for kegs.

The paintball tank is only 20oz whereas a regular keg tank will be a lot more. So i would prefer the larger co2 tank, so i have to take less trips to the gas place.

Does the fact that they don't fill them for kegs mean they have oil in their co2, or some dick just made up a stupid rule. Tell them you don't want oil in your gun and see what they say. I didn't realize anyone added oil to co2. I just bypassed the whole issue and bought a 5lb tank with my kegging stuff. This is interesting though since they sell the paintball tanks with kits. Where are you supposed to get them filled? Where did you get it filled the first time?

Some dick made up a stupid rule. There won't be oil in any bulk tank. Bulk fill is done via what is called a 'dip tube' tank. The valve on the bulk tank has a 'straw' that goes all the way to the bottom of the bottle, which means when the valve is opened, you get liquid CO2, not gas (you'd get the same result by turning your keg bottle upside down and opening the valve). When the liquid is dispensed into the smaller bottle, it drops to -78°C, which would freeze any oil solid, clogging the valves.

The only way I've ever seen 'oiled' CO2 sold is in 12-16g cartridges, and they are not designed for regular use in guns, you're supposed to use one after every 10-20 regular dry cartridges or after you run though a full bulk bottle, just as a 'maintenance'.

You can get a paintball tank filled at most any paintball shop. They charge by the ounce, and my local spot uses a scale to prevent overfill. If you have a 20# tank, PB shops may sell the fitting kit to fill them yourself. Paintball tanks have a copper blowout disk that ruptures if pressure is too high (ie. overfilled and/or too high temp such as inside a car trunk in the Arizona sun). Bulk tanks may have something similar, but I can see why a bulk gas shop may not want their idiot employees to fill the small tanks. I'd imagine most welding shops would have the fittings to use a bulk tank.

You can't fill a paintball bottle off a 20# tank unless it has a dip tube (rare) or you flip it over. The tanks that are designed to take a regulator (20# and less) dispense gas - and you can not fill large to small using just gas. Basically you'll get an ounce or two into the paintball bottle and that's it (there isn't enough pressure to make the gas condense back into a liquid in a room-temperature bottle). Bulk tanks (50# and larger) have dip tubes and dispense liquid.

I tried to find where I saw the oil in co2 and found this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/difference-co2-paintball-supplier-beverage-co-335141/

Between that thread and what Taz420NJ are saying, it seems like its not really an issue. Maybe ill just go to sports authority to get the paintball tank filled, without telling them its for kegging.

That will save me some money for now, and eventually upgrade to get a bigger tank.

Thanks everyone for your help.

JayUnt said:
I tried to find where I saw the oil in co2 and found this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/difference-co2-paintball-supplier-beverage-co-335141/

Between that thread and what Taz420NJ are saying, it seems like its not really an issue. Maybe ill just go to sports authority to get the paintball tank filled, without telling them its for kegging.

That will save me some money for now, and eventually upgrade to get a bigger tank.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bingo

Back