Changing keg lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is a really dumb question. I am new to kegging. I want to change out my 5 foot lines in my kegerator to 10 foot. I am thinking I will have to take the tower apart and connect the new lines? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. This will be first time using the kegerator.

There is a special tool out there. Basically, it's a wrench that looks like the full circle end on a normal wrench, with a small cutout in it.

Here is one on amazon. Not advocating this specific one, just the quickest example I could find.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040HUNFQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

it's still a pain, but you have to take it completely apart to put the new line in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, defiantly get one of these
31LR0RGvQcL.jpg

I just replaced mine this weekend without one and it was a huge pain. In fact i could not get the nuts tight and had to order it from amazon to finish the project. You will also need one of these if you don't have one already.
31wkgHRc5fL.jpg

to get the faucet its self off.

I just changed my 5ft to 10ft. Also get a thermometer for your fridge as well. Having the right temp and 10ft lines made a big difference. 40 degrees and 10fr are a killer combo.

The wrench in the top pic includes what's in the bottom pic.. that's what the cut out in the middle is for.

So many beers... so little time.

A handy tip I found here a while back: Use the wrench only to hold the nut in place. Keep the faucet attached and use the faucet to tighten / loosen the shank. Once the shank is tight you can reposition the faucet accordingly.

They will work fine!! Do it all the time!! Get S/S ones like these: http://www.foxxequipment.com/parts.php?id=4585 Get 1/4"x1/4" and just heat hose ends in really hot water and push them on!! They will be on so tight you won't even need clamps!!
Interesting. I figured that would work, but I thought maybe it would be site where bacteria could grow or something like that. I think I may do that initially and then just buy the 10 foot when I replace them at some point.

You could try that, but I'd worry about the constriction pressuring the beer through the splice and causing a bit of extra foaming.

You might have better luck if you could find a splice piece with an inside diameter that matched the outside diameter of your beer line. Then you could fit them together without restriction. You'd probably want to add additional clamps at the splice point so pressurization doesn't pop your splice.

There could likely be some additional bacteria crevices with any type of splice solution so you'd want to be extra diligent in your cleaning.

You have too stay with 3/16" for proper restriction.You could use 3/16"x3/16" splicers, but there harder too find, and would have a inside dia. less than 3/16inch.Thats why I would use the 1/4".

I am sure you could splice and be ok...
But I think it would be easier to just change to the one piece 10ft line.
No need to try and find the right food grade splices and then worry about leaks. Changing the actual tubing was a snap. Just warm the ends in hot water and slide them on. It was getting the thing apart WITHOUT the proper tool that made it a pain.

I am sure you could splice and be ok...
But I think it would be easier to just change to the one piece 10ft line.
No need to try and find the right food grade splices and then worry about leaks. Changing the actual tubing was a snap. Just warm the ends in hot water and slide them on. It was getting the thing apart WITHOUT the proper tool that made it a pain.
Yeah, after thinking about it, I think I may just replace the whole line. I already bought the wrench and it will give me peace of mind. I can also reuse the 5 ft lines for something else.

Back