Changes in wlp001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iosete

Reaction score
Anyone has noticed any changes in the behavior of the wlp001 since april? , i think the yeast let more flavors and the fermentation is more aggressive, the krausen is highest

Best regards

I haven't noticed any change. I brew with that several times a year. I have one batch in the fermenter now (brewed Saturday) O.G 1.055 @ 65deg. I brewed the same recipe back in July and it was nice and clean.

I brewed a batch with WLP001 recently and saw normal characteristics. Very predictable. I used the yeast within the same month of packaging so it was quite fresh.

In general I'd say that the PurePitch packaging has yielded more yeast growth than I used to see with the vials. I say that because of how much yeast I've dumped from my conical post fermentation. However, I had a few packs from late august this year that seemed to underperform comparatively speaking. At least that's my impression... I have my first stalled ferment from that batch. I just made a small starter from a new PurePitch pack today that I'll pitch in hopes of further attenuation.

So, while I have nothing but observation to back my comments, I would say that I've been thinking there's some differences for sure. My feeling is so much aligned that way that I'll probably be using Wyeast for a while.

Back