Chances Of This Working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
Being relatively new to the HB scene when compared to the veterans on this board I am in need of your advice as to the chances of this batch working.

Last night I brewed a Cream Ale from recipes that I gathered from others on this board. To say it was uneventful is an understatement. The following events happened to me while completing this batch.

1. Dropped the 6.5 gallon carboy and shattered to pieces.

2. The drain to my Brew Kettle leaked through out the boiling of the wort.

3. Forgot to turn on the cold water on my counter flow chiller and consequently had had wort in the primary.

4. Put White Labs Yeast in hot wort.

5. Forgot to turn off heat plate while boiling water to sterilize counter flow chiller. Realizing that it wasn't shut off until 3 hours after I turned it on. Luckily there was just a little bit of water left in it.

Now my questions to all the experts is, What are my chances of this wort turning into something remotely drinkable if I add White Labs Burtons Ale Yeast to the cooled wort "Cream Ale" today. My local Home Brew Shop only had Burtons and Nottinghams Brewing Yeast on hand.

I know that the chances of this working when considering all of the screw up are slim and none but I am willing to take a chance anyway.

And yes you may socially ostracize in your responses. And no I wasn't drinking, alot.

TD

The beer should be fine, as long as everything was all buttoned up nice and tight and sterile overnight. Be thankful you didn't get injured when the carboy shattered, there have been enough people around here who have had some pretty serious injuries that it does make me think about the Better Bottles. Adding the different yeast strain make make the beer a little less style-accurate, but who cares? It'll be good, you didn't sever any arteries, and next time will be smoother.

Ouch!

Those glass carboys get slippery when wet. If you must use glass, then by all means get a carboy handle on it to give you a better grip when you pick it up and clean it.

Then again, go for a Better Bottle since you are now in the market for a new carboy. They are a breeze to clean and handle. I've got 4 full of fermentables right now.

EdWort said:
Ouch!

Those glass carboys get slippery when wet. If you must use glass, then by all means get a carboy handle on it to give you a better grip when you pick it up and clean it.

The only thing I use my carboy handles for are holding the wet towel in place. I just dont trust them enough to pick up the carboy with them.

Whenever the carboy is full, I use a metal milk crate to move it around. Didn't somebody mention some really sweet gloves that you could buy, designed for people that work with big pieces of glass all the time? They both gave a ton of protection if the glass shattered and had rubber nubs or something to keep a better grip. I don't know what you call them, but I'm thinking about buying a pair if I can find them.

Chimone said:
The only thing I use my carboy handles for are holding the wet towel in place. I just dont trust them enough to pick up the carboy with them.

Yep. I only used them when it was empty. The neck on a carboy is pretty fragile.

Sounds like the brew session from hell. Glad you weren't hurt by that carboy. Better Bottles are the way to go.
BTW, were you smoking dope that night?:D

I recently purchased a better bottle. Only had it for 1 1/2 brews but works great. I like the fact that you can poke it and make the yeast move. My only concern is that over time it might hold some of the flavors from the last brew. Has anyone had this happen?

What are my chances of this wort turning into something remotely drinkable if I add White Labs Burtons Ale Yeast to the cooled wort "Cream Ale" today.

Good, I'd say and either of the dried yeasts would have worked, although the flavor wouldn't have been exactly the same.

the_bird said:
Didn't somebody mention some really sweet gloves that you could buy, designed for people that work with big pieces of glass all the time? They both gave a ton of protection if the glass shattered and had rubber nubs or something to keep a better grip. I don't know what you call them, but I'm thinking about buying a pair if I can find them.

They are kevlar gloves, I used to wear one when wood working with sharp knives. The gloves will prevent you from being cut from a slicing motion, but will not protect against a poking or puncture wound.

jcarson83 said:
. My only concern is that over time it might hold some of the flavors from the last brew.
Call me paranoid but my Dr. says that plastics leave behind philoesters, oestrigens and other estrogen compounds that get stored as estrogen in fat and they are water soluable. I have also heard this from a friend who works in water systems. I'll stick with glass. I think your beer will be fine, it's been my experience that beer is pretty forgiving as long as your sanitation is good.

G. Cretin said:
Call me paranoid but my Dr. says that plastics leave behind philoesters, oestrigens and other estrogen compounds that get stored as estrogen in fat and they are water soluable. I have also heard this from a friend who works in water systems. I'll stick with glass. I think your beer will be fine, it's been my experience that beer is pretty forgiving as long as your sanitation is good.

Could these estrogens result in us growing man boobs and drinking Zima?

Man boobs and prostate cancer or testicular cancer. I know that comment will be fairly controversial around here but I don't care to take chances with my boys. Like I said call me paranoid.

Born Brewing Co. said:
They are kevlar gloves, I used to wear one when wood working with sharp knives. The gloves will prevent you from being cut from a slicing motion, but will not protect against a poking or puncture wound.

There are also simpler ones you can buy that are just cloth gloves with little rubber dots all over them. They aren't meant for protection as much as for getting a good, non-slippery grip on glass. I used them when I was a picture framer and occassionally had to work with 4'x8' sheets of glass. You can probably pick them up at any of the major hardware stores or any glass supply shop.

jcarson83 said:
I recently purchased a better bottle. Only had it for 1 1/2 brews but works great. I like the fact that you can poke it and make the yeast move. My only concern is that over time it might hold some of the flavors from the last brew. Has anyone had this happen?

So far mine haven't retained any odors or off-anything from batch to batch.

TWolf10 said:
There are also simpler ones you can buy that are just cloth gloves with little rubber dots all over them. They aren't meant for protection as much as for getting a good, non-slippery grip on glass. I used them when I was a picture framer and occassionally had to work with 4'x8' sheets of glass. You can probably pick them up at any of the major hardware stores or any glass supply shop.

Looks like the Kevlar gloves are about $50 for a decent pair.

http://abcsafetyglasses.com/kevlar-gloves.html

Cheaper to buy Better Bottles!

I haven't decided to switch, at least not yet. Hell, I just bought those carboys! I'll at least pick up a pair of gloves like you linked to next time I'm at the Depot.

Ok question for you guys with the better bottles....

I do notice when using my glass carboys, that when I dry hop for a week or so, the carboy retains the smell and requires a couple more cleanings that normal. Do the PET bottles have any problems holding on to the hop smell from dry hopping?

Chimone said:
Ok question for you guys with the better bottles....

I do notice when using my glass carboys, that when I dry hop for a week or so, the carboy retains the smell and requires a couple more cleanings that normal. Do the PET bottles have any problems holding on to the hop smell from dry hopping?

That I can't answer, haven't done any dry hopping in mine yet. But in general I have not noticed them retaining any odors the way the plastic buckets do.

G. Cretin said:

A huge portion of food and drink we buy are packaged in plastic, and, if I'm not mistaken PET is one of the better ones. I drink milk, juice, and soda out of plastic containers, and most condiments are packed that way. I store all of my leftovers in either Tupperware or Ziploc bags. If I grow man-boobs, at least I'll have something to play with, since the wife doesn't let me play with her's anymore. Smoking, drinking, and golfing barefoot have a much better chance of hurting me than plastics.

That being said, I'll stick with my glass carboys with handles. They have to be easier to clean, and retain less odor & flavor than plastic. And I haven't heard of one person who broke a neck off of one. I'm always careful in everything I do, safety is preached at work, and I take it home with me.

The milk crates are the way to go. They really make it easy to carry your carboys and even provide a little extra protection from shattering.

Latest posts

Back