Champagne Corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Would it be possible to insert champagne corks with this:http://www.midwestsupplies.com/floor-corking-machine.html

I am in the market for a wine bottle corker for some mead I have that's getting close to bottling and I would also like to have something that I could use to cork belgian beer bottles with the wire cages too if possible. That floor corker is at the top of my price range for this(champagne corks are more of a "would be nice" thing), I'm just curious if I could get away with spending more on that floor corker as opposed to a hand corker.

The $100+ champagne corkers are out of the question. I would only be doing this occassionally, so Im just curious if it's possible, not necessarily the easiest option.

Depends on the bottle and cork, champagne bottles and beglian beer bottles are different sizes (23.5 mm for american sparkling wine bottles/ 25.5 mm for Beglian Beer Bottles (large format trappist bottles). Most lower priced range corkers aren't designed to hold the mushroomed cork used, usually a floor model is required. The cheapest Italian floor corker I have seen online is for $107.

The one you linked to will work. The corks for belgian bottles aren't mushroomed when they're new, they are straight sided and get mushroomed from the carbonation pressure against the cage. You have to adjust the dept the cork is inserted which can be done with the one you linked.

The one you linked to will work. The champagne corks aren't mushroomed when they're new, they are straight sided and get mushroomed from the carbonation pressure against the cage. You have to adjust the dept the cork is inserted which can be done with the one you linked.

Sweet! So when inserting the champagne corks, what depth should they be set to?

Depends on the bottle and cork, champagne bottles and beglian beer bottles are different sizes (23.5 mm for american sparkling wine bottles/ 25.5 mm for Beglian Beer Bottles (large format trappist bottles). Most lower priced range corkers aren't designed to hold the mushroomed cork used, usually a floor model is required. The cheapest Italian floor corker I have seen online is for $107.

What is the difference between the Italian floor corker and the floor corker I am looking at? Other than $50

Back