Champagne bubbles on first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyB9

Reaction score
Its my first time brewing and i need some advice,

I finished my brew put the yeast in and got very little bubbles for a few hours, the next day its 2-3 bubbles a second and smells like fruity rocket fuel.

The demijon is 5L and these are the ingredients:
500g blueberries
240g raisins
700g honey
5g mead yeast

I broke down the Blueberries and raisins with 2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme for over 24 hours before removing the large solids and using the juice as the liquid to make the mead. I wanted to know if I have done it right, the book I'm using conflicts with a lot of what I've read online.

Thanks in advance,

I personally use the whole fruit in primary. That aside, rocket fuel smell is normal for a young mead, especially when a nutrient protocol isn’t followed. Time will help it mellow out.

Bubbles are co2 being released during fermentation. If you have a glass demijohn you can see them, and if you put your ear against it can hear it, like soda in a can.

I would have added the blueberries in whole, maybe squish them to release juices. Best way is to freeze them, then thaw out and add pectinase (pectic enzyme)

Also consider pasturising with campden or Kmeta. But by all means what you have done doesn't sound wrong or bad. It sounds tasty.

Oh also 700g in 5L ain't a huge amount. I went 2kg in 4.5 litres total volume (including honey) so don't be alarmed if it comes out bone dry and ferments pretty quick.

Back