Château wheat blanc proportion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Tong

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Château wheat blanc recommends a max of 30% of the grist?

I have a lot of this and want to make a hefeweizen with 50% wheat. Could I use 30% of this and 20% of another wheat malt?

I could be wrong but it's probably related to the diastatic power of the malt which is linked to the amount of enzymes available to convert the starch in the malt into sugar.
Wheat has a lower value than pale malt or pilsner for example but 30% does seem quite low as Weyermann gives a value of 80% and 50% is a minimum to be officially a Hefeweizen.
I see on the Château/Castle homepage they recommend a max of 35% so you might be able to push it to 50% if the rest of the malt bill is just pilsner with a high diastatic power. You might have to dig a bit deeper and see the diastatic value for the other wheat malts compared to Château to see if they would perform better; maybe they are just being a bit conservative to make sure you get proper conversion but actually have the same value as other maltsters and a much higher % would be OK.

My 1000th post :drunk:

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it's probably related to the diastatic power of the malt which is linked to the amount of enzymes available to convert the starch in the malt into sugar.
Wheat has a lower value than pale malt or pilsner for example but 30% does seem quite low as Weyermann gives a value of 80% and 50% is a minimum to be officially a Hefeweizen.
I see on the Château/Castle homepage they recommend a max of 35% so you might be able to push it to 50% if the rest of the malt bill is just pilsner with a high diastatic power. You might have to dig a bit deeper and see the diastatic value for the other wheat malts compared to Château to see if they would perform better; maybe they are just being a bit conservative to make sure you get proper conversion but actually have the same value as other maltsters and a much higher % would be OK.

My 1000th post :drunk:
Is the correct answer thanks! Beersmith has it as 0 Lintner.

Back