CFC sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I've seen one or two sources say that to ensure the CFC copper tubing is sanitary, near the end of the boil turn the spigot on so that the boiling wort can go through the copper tubing. Discard a cups worth. Then open the spigot/valve again and recirculate a small amount back into the wort. I want to ask, is there no worry about the hose tubing warping by doing this when you aren't running cool water over the copper tubing at the same time?

That's what I do. I actually run the boiling wort through the CFC for a few minutes to be sure it gets hot enough to kill anything lurking in there. The copper tubing will not flex or bend. I use silicon tubing to go from my kettle to the CFC and from the CFC back to the kettle so I have no worries about the temps causing a problem.

Thanks for the response though I should clarify. the copper tubing is inside a hose, and I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the garden hose part warping because of the hot copper.

I'm assuming it will be fine because others seem to practice this method without seeing problems.

I've seen one or two sources say that to ensure the CFC copper tubing is sanitary, near the end of the boil turn the spigot on so that the boiling wort can go through the copper tubing. Discard a cups worth. Then open the spigot/valve again and recirculate a small amount back into the wort. I want to ask, is there no worry about the hose tubing warping by doing this when you aren't running cool water over the copper tubing at the same time?

I also flush my CFC w/ StarSan at the beginning of my brew day (and after use). I let it sit until just before use and empty of sanitizer. I then run hot wort from my BK through my ZCFC then back into my BK via whirlpool w/o any chilling water for a few minutes.
Avoid introducing bubbles to avoid hot side oxidation.

My CFC is also copper pipe stuffed through a regular garden hose. I dump a few gallons through it to sanitise at the end of the boil and have never had an issue with the hose being damaged. Once it gets warm enough I can smell the hose rubber, but that is the extent of it. Done this for 20+ batches now

Back