CFC peeps - talk to me about cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it settle to the bottom of the fermenter. It makes a mess when harvesting yeast. I'm thinking about switching to an immersion chiller for that reason.

I was thinking about draining it into strike water kettle, then into my carboy to leave the break behind. It's a little more to clean up, but you get the advantage of clean wort.

Fermenter it goes. It's so fine, I doubt you'd be able to get it out with anything less than some type of paper filter media. It's good for yeast though, as an un-oxygenated wort with cold break in it, will ferment more completely and vigorously than an oxygenated wort without the cold-break.

For ales, you're completely fine - maybe even better-off. If you're trying to brew the best pilsener in the world... you may want an immersion chiller.

I thought I remembered reading in one of the brew books that the cold break contains stuff that's good for the yeast during fermentation.

I just let it go into the fermentor.
It's usually to late at night (in the morning), and too much to clean to wory about gettting the cold break out. Haven't noticed any issues yet, and my beer is as clear as it can be with extract.

Back