CFC/HERMs material dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwitz

Reaction score
Im getting ready to add a HERMS coil to my HTL and redo my wort chiller and I cant decide if i should use stainless or copper. I know stainless doesnt conduct as well, but im not sure that matters with moving fluids and thin walls. Id like to use stainless because it's easy to clean and i hate seeing my copper chiller turn dark brown.

Im also wondering if 30 feet for each coil will be ok if i go with stainless. Thanks for any input.

i'm pretty sure you have answered your own question about the material... 30 ft seems legitimate to me...

Stainless is not easy to coil by hand. I have made several copper coils with very little problem... just wrap around a corny or something similar as a form.

I have a 50' coil of .020" wall stainless and it is very difficult to bend without kinking.

Something to think about.

Ed

I'm getting ready to add a HERMS coil, as well, and I'm using copper. As much as I would love the SS, I don't have the money or time to deal with it. I look at it as a future upgrade when the time is right.

Stainless is not easy to coil by hand. I have made several copper coils with very little problem... just wrap around a corny or something similar as a form.

I have a 50' coil of .020" wall stainless and it is very difficult to bend without kinking.

Something to think about.

Ed

Someone posted recently in a different thread, pointing out that you can by stainless already coiled. Seems like that would be the way to go if you are going to use it for this.

Personally, I'm thinking long and hard about a copper coil HERMS setup. Using the vessel as HLT for the mash, and BK after mashing. The coil can maintain mash temps and circulate ice water to chill..

Someone posted recently in a different thread, pointing out that you can by stainless already coiled. Seems like that would be the way to go if you are going to use it for this.

Personally, I'm thinking long and hard about a copper coil HERMS setup. Using the vessel as HLT for the mash, and BK after mashing. The coil can maintain mash temps and circulate ice water to chill..

The stainless I have is coiled... problem is the coil is about 24" in diameter :cross:

Several folks have bought SS immersion chillers and converted them to install in a vessel via compression fittings.

Are you thinking of circulating water hot/cold through the coil to heat or cool?
I don't think that would be very effective.

Typical HERMS has wort running through the coil..

Ed

Are you thinking of circulating water hot/cold through the coil to heat or cool?
I don't think that would be very effective.

Typical HERMS has wort running through the coil..

Ed

Use it like an HLT during the mash, recirc the wort through the coil then. Then transfer from the mash into the HLT, and use it as a BK. Once the boil is done, then pump ice water through the coil, using it as an immersion chiller. I've seen a few different systems on this site that describe it. Maybe the DITCHES system is like that... Some of the compact 2 vessel systems do this..

Use it like an HLT during the mash, recirc the wort through the coil then. Then transfer from the mash into the HLT, and use it as a BK. Once the boil is done, then pump ice water through the coil, using it as an immersion chiller. I've seen a few different systems on this site that describe it. Maybe the DITCHES system is like that... Some of the compact 2 vessel systems do this..

Gotcha... I misunderstood, I thought you were thinking of a coil circulating hot water in the mash to maintain temp.

Gonna go with two 25' coils of copper, $36 each is easier on the wallet than $150. Easier to work with as well. Im sure it will be long enough.

Back