CFC and Pump - Where does the pump go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyBot

Reaction score
I just read through Bobby_M's fantastic CFC build thread and am now excited to build one. I also have a cheap little pump I'd like to use with it. Is there a recommended way to hook it up?

Right now I have camlocks set up to hook the pump directly to the BK so the easy way would be to go BK->pump->CFC. The pump also needs to be primed and this seems like the best way to do it. Is there any reason to put the pump after the CFC?

As I understand and always do, the pump should always be first thing after BK, before anyother items.

I think it's supposed to go BK - Chiller - Pump, but I have been running it the same way as you.

The pump should go as early as possible to avoid cavitation. You want all of the resistance (tubing, valves, chiller, inline thermometer, etc.) on the output side and as little as possible on the input side.

Some people have a ball valve on their BK outlet but you should leave it open full when using a pump. If you need to restrict the flow, use a ball valve *after* the pump. (Personally I don't have any valves on my kettles, just tubing going straight to the pump.)

The pump should go as early as possible to avoid cavitation. You want all of the resistance (tubing, valves, chiller, inline thermometer, etc.) on the output side and as little as possible on the input side.

Some people have a ball valve on their BK outlet but you should leave it open full when using a pump. If you need to restrict the flow, use a ball valve *after* the pump. (Personally I don't have any valves on my kettles, just tubing going straight to the pump.)

I have a ball valve but I'm putting a PWM speed control on the pump to control flow rather than an output ball valve.

If you want to use the pump for the wort then you should have it set under the discharge of the boil kettle so it will gravity feed into the pump, then pump up the coil. Depending on where you are getting your cooling water this could work well.

Another way to do this with one pump is to gravity feed your wort down the coil and pump cold water up the coil. If you are getting your water from a hose and have warm ground water this could be a better option because you can pump ice water from a bucket.

I just read through Bobby_M's fantastic CFC build thread and am now excited to build one. I also have a cheap little pump I'd like to use with it. Is there a recommended way to hook it up?

Right now I have camlocks set up to hook the pump directly to the BK so the easy way would be to go BK->pump->CFC. The pump also needs to be primed and this seems like the best way to do it. Is there any reason to put the pump after the CFC?

BK to pump to chiller then back to the BK if you whirlpool (I do). Once your wort going back to the BK is at desired temp (66°-68° for me w/ ales) then you're ready to go to your fermentor(s).
My concern is you say it's a cheap pump. I'd recommend a March or Chugger w/ a ball valve on the output side so you can control the flow through your CFC for better chilling efficiency.

BK to pump to chiller then back to the BK if you whirlpool (I do). Once your wort going back to the BK is at desired temp (66°-68° for me w/ ales) then you're ready to go to your fermentor(s).
My concern is you say it's a cheap pump. I'd recommend a March or Chugger w/ a ball valve on the output side so you can control the flow through your CFC for better chilling efficiency.

The pump is one of the tan solar pumps from China. It's definitely not powerful and I still haven't tested how capable it is yet. Getting it through the coil should be no problem, it's whether I can whirlpool with it that's the question. I have a speed controller for the pump so I can use that rather than a ball valve to control the flow rate.

The pump is one of the tan solar pumps from China. It's definitely not powerful and I still haven't tested how capable it is yet. Getting it through the coil should be no problem, it's whether I can whirlpool with it that's the question. I have a speed controller for the pump so I can use that rather than a ball valve to control the flow rate.

If it's not a food grade pump I would definitely keep it pumping the cold water and keep your wort away from it. Just gravity feed your wort down the coil.

If it's not a food grade pump I would definitely keep it pumping the cold water and keep your wort away from it. Just gravity feed your wort down the coil.

It is food grade. There's a big long thread here about them which is where I found it.

Back