CF15 SPIKE CONICAL UNITANK or BLICHMANN FERMENATOR G4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wyatt

Reaction score
I have been going back and forth between these 2 fermenters and wanted to know if anyone has or have used these fermenters before. I am looking to step my brew game up as im planning on opening a brewery in the near future. So getting familiar with this equipment would help tremendously also bigger batches allows me to hit up some of these festivals around the city for exposure. I also have been looking at SS Brewtech but i have heard mixed reviews about them. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!! 🍻

I like the pair of CF10's I ordered a couple of months back. Both are occupied at this time.
I don't like the 'sight tube' on the Blichmann fermenter. Yes, you can not use it (or not buy it at all), but it just feels like a really BAD idea to have beer exposed to light through that during the fermentation process.
I just ran through a build of the Blichmann at the 14 gallon size (they only list two sizes at this time). No cost saving over the Spike CF10. I do like the chill coil design from Spike more than the one from Blichmann.
Having just one option for leg extensions also seems short sighted to me. Spike offers two lengths (I got the shorter set, which works well for the wheels).

Also, in the comparison chart on the Blichmann page, I know (for a fact) that you COULD lift the Spike fermenter when full. They just tell people NOT to for safety reasons. I wouldn't want to lose control over a fermenter with 10 gallons of beer in it (considering the weight of the fermenter on top of that). There's other information in that chart that's out of date for comparisons.

End of the day, I'm very happy with my Spike conical fermenters. I did get a SSBrew Tech spunding valve for each of them since I like that design. Requires nothing extra to use, and connects directly to one of the three 1.5" TC ports on the lid. The 4" TC port is occupied by the chill coil. I also like how the tubing set from Spike (for the chill coil) comes insulated already. Don't need to get any insulation for it.

BTW, I'm also using a BrewBuilt IceMaster Max2 chiller for temperature control/chilling these two. Right now the one actively fermenting is at 70F. I have the one that I dry hopped (Wednesday evening) cooled a bit lower (66F right now). Tomorrow night I'll adjust temperatures so that the dry hopped/finished beer will get cold crashed and I'll start carbonating it Sunday morning. Before the end of the following weekend it will be in keg and can. I'll use one of the (two) CIP ball setups I have to clean and sanitize that fermenter so it's ready for another batch.

I like the pair of CF10's I ordered a couple of months back. Both are occupied at this time.
I don't like the 'sight tube' on the Blichmann fermenter. Yes, you can not use it (or not buy it at all), but it just feels like a really BAD idea to have beer exposed to light through that during the fermentation process.
I just ran through a build of the Blichmann at the 14 gallon size (they only list two sizes at this time). No cost saving over the Spike CF10. I do like the chill coil design from Spike more than the one from Blichmann.
Having just one option for leg extensions also seems short sighted to me. Spike offers two lengths (I got the shorter set, which works well for the wheels).

Also, in the comparison chart on the Blichmann page, I know (for a fact) that you COULD lift the Spike fermenter when full. They just tell people NOT to for safety reasons. I wouldn't want to lose control over a fermenter with 10 gallons of beer in it (considering the weight of the fermenter on top of that). There's other information in that chart that's out of date for comparisons.

End of the day, I'm very happy with my Spike conical fermenters. I did get a SSBrew Tech spunding valve for each of them since I like that design. Requires nothing extra to use, and connects directly to one of the three 1.5" TC ports on the lid. The 4" TC port is occupied by the chill coil. I also like how the tubing set from Spike (for the chill coil) comes insulated already. Don't need to get any insulation for it.

BTW, I'm also using a BrewBuilt IceMaster Max2 chiller for temperature control/chilling these two. Right now the one actively fermenting is at 70F. I have the one that I dry hopped (Wednesday evening) cooled a bit lower (66F right now). Tomorrow night I'll adjust temperatures so that the dry hopped/finished beer will get cold crashed and I'll start carbonating it Sunday morning. Before the end of the following weekend it will be in keg and can. I'll use one of the (two) CIP ball setups I have to clean and sanitize that fermenter so it's ready for another batch.
Thank you! I was leaning towards the spike but wanted to hear some first hand opinions about both fermenters. On a side note.... I plan on doing a rye this weekend. First one ever so this is more of an experiment for me more then anything else.

While I'm sure Blichmann is good too, the customer service/support from Spike is top shelf. IMO, that's worth a LOT. It's what prompted me to get the full setup I currently have and keep them as a top contender when I go to upsize (to the 1bbl system).

Back