Certain keg makes beer lose head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I bought a used keg recently. I have ran 2 beers through it now. Each of the brews has a head that dissipates almost immediately after the beer is poured.

The beers that I've brewed are beers that I've made other times before. There's nothing different.

Is this possible?

The keg was soaked in a PBW mixture and disassembled after I purchased. I cleaned it just like any other kegs.

The flow is fantastic like normal. The head just disappears almost immediately.

You didn't happen to change how you wash your glassware, perhaps? Sometimes dishwasher soap has a sheeting agent in it to reduce spots, and this can also reduce the head on a beer.

Have you tried switching faucets and lines to the keg in question, see if changing equipment changes anything?

LOL thanks!

Yep the only thing that I've done is soak in the PBW/water mix like normal for a day or 2. Disassemble the liquid post and clean the dip tube and poppet. Then rinse it all.

It's the same line and tap that I use with other kegs. It does sound like there could be oil somewhere in the keg. I've never had this issue with years of kegging.

It's almost like when you pour a soda into a glass. Foam at first and then dissipates. Still fully carbonated.

Latest posts

Back