Cereal Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to use raw corn in a recipe and I have read that I have to cereal mash the corn to make the starches available for conversion. While multiple places state this, it is very difficult to find a place that tells you exactly how to cereal mash the corn to make it read to go into the mash tun with the rest of the grains. My question is:

How do you go about cereal mashing? Has anyone done this and had success? Please be as specific as possible so I can try to recreate the outcome!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sorry for the non-specificity, but I believe the dried corn would need to be ground first and then boiled so it is gelatinous enough to be used in the real mash with the rest of your mashing grains for true conversion.

I did not do it with corn but I have done it with rice. You boil it for about 30 minutes if I remember right or at least it seemed that long since you have to stir constantly or it will burn.

I found it easier to use instant grits or instant rice instead.

Back