Cereal mash, stepping and single infusion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I will be making a saison with toasted raw spelt soon. I will be doing a cereal mash for my first time and have some basic questions.

When I do a cereal mash of 2lbs of spelt, what temps should I hit? Some resources say boil for twenty minutes, others step from the low 100'sF to a boiling.

Every example I've read suggests doing a step mash for the main mash while performing a cereal mash. Why should I? I was planning on doing a cereal mash and then beginning a single infusion once the cereal mash is done by adding it to the main mash.

How much barley malt would you recommend adding to a 2lb spelt cereal mash? Do I even need to add malt to it?

Until I researched more today, I was planning on just boiling the spelt to a gel and adding it to a single infusion mash. Based on my reading it seems there are more steps people do but I don't know how necessary they are.

Not a popular topic, eh?

Well I created a nice starchy spelt goo by cooking it then boiling it for about 40 minutes. It's about a gallon's worth. I'll be adding this to the main mash in a 150F single infusion. Hope it converts...

The idea is to get your main mash up to sacc rest temp with the infusion of the boiling cereal mash. Maybe that's what you interpreted from "step mash."

944play said:
The idea is to get your main mash up to sacc rest temp with the infusion of the boiling cereal mash. Maybe that's what you interpreted from "step mash."

Yeah, I kinda figured that it would be more about convenience than necessity. I did the cereal mash already but won't do the main mash until later today. I will make sure the cereal mash is 150F before adding it to the main mash so I don't have to worry about messing up the main mash temp.

Latest posts

Back