Centennial Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good substitute for Centennial hops? Some of the local stores are out of stock, and rather that do mail order I would like to know if there is a good substitute I could get locally. This will be for a single hop IPA recipe with 2oz at 60 min 2oz at flameout and 2oz dryhop.

Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus are all substitutes. Since you're doing a single hop, I'd recommend Amarillo.

I've read that a mix of 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus is a good substitute. But the closest IMHO is Cascade if going hop vs. hop.

I've read that a mix of 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus is a good substitute. But the closest IMHO is Cascade if going hop vs. hop.

I recently brewd an IPA with a Columbu addition to bitter, then 15-5-0 70/30 Cascade Columbus blend additions. dry hopping with another oz of the blend. It smelled similar, but not the same funky Centennial smell. I am several days from bottling, so we shall see.

If I understand things correctly, thenthe 60 min addition is just adding IBUs, so could I substitute another hop for the centennial, as long as I maintain the same IBU level? Then i would only need the Centennial for the flameout and dryhop additions.

If I understand things correctly, thenthe 60 min addition is just adding IBUs, so could I substitute another hop for the centennial, as long as I maintain the same IBU level? Then i would only need the Centennial for the flameout and dryhop additions.

yep * 2. But you should research cohumulone and understand the negative role it plays in bittering. The amount of cohumulone in each hop is available online (somewhere :) )

Nothing in my opinion is close to centennial. Try farmhousebrewing or wholesale hops. With shipping they may still be similar in price.

Centennial is one of those hops that you aren't going to replicate exactly. It has a unique aroma. It's orangy-citrusy with a sweet fruit loop or trix cereal kind of aroma.

Cascade+Columbus will get you close. It'll give a citrusy character, and match the alpha %, but it won't have that sweet orange thing. I'd also say Cascade+Ahtanum would be closer.

Centennial shouldn't be that hard to find right now. It's not a proprietary hop.

I just ordered 12oz of Centennial from an online retailer. I think in the fall i will put in a big order with Hopsdirect and stock up.

I see that you orderd some Centennial already, but thought id give my input anway.... IDK how familar you are with Centennial already but how you perceive the flavor and aroma would change the sub. I never get anything close to citrus from Centennial, I always get floral, so for me I would sub with Palisade. If you get citrus from it, then Cascade would be a good sub. There are lots of differences into what others get from different hops, Simcoe and Summit seem to be the two with the most diversity of opinion.

I think Centennial is very unique, the centennial hops I get are very fruity and offer a pretty mild bittering. The flavor is different than Amarillo, but a recipe that works with Centennial would also work well with Amarillo for a more subtle fruity flavor.

I find Cascade and Columbus to both offer a little more of an earthy flavor than the Centennial I am accostomed to working with.

I searched this thread because I forgot the Cascade/Columbus ratio substitute for Centennial and noticed this when reading through. The initial response was "yep", but I do not believe this to always be true. Some flavor, however slight, will usually carry through from a bittering addition in my opinion. How noticeable it is may depend on how subdued it becomes by things such as other hop additions, boil length, etc. I don't think this topic is as black and white as the response it got. Any comments on these thoughts?

Anyway, not sure if this was mentioned in this thread or not, but I also believe lasts years "Centennial Blend" from Hopunion to be this ratio. I forget where I read this. Just trying to use up last years Cascade and Columbus =)

Back