Centennial Blonde Cascade Hop Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikeAndBrew

Reaction score
Brewing Centennial Blonde tomorrow & just realized that I am all out of Cascade hops. Any advice on what I can substitute to get close to the same flavor profile? Thanks!

Well...centennial is much higher AA so youd need to increase quantity of cascade to sub for the centennial. Other than that, centennial is often described as super cascade and I find them to be similar in terms of flavor profile.

I love glacier hops as a cascade sub, or you could just use centennial for the cascade addition, but cut it down to match the alpha acid addition: for example

if centennial is 10% and cascade is 5% - add .5 ounces of centennial where it says 1 ounce of cascade.

if the cascade is a 60 minute addition you won't notice anything beyond the bitterness anyway, I usually just use whatever high alpha acid hop I have that is laying around for my 60 minute - magnum is best I think.

Centennial is the bittering hop. Cascade is the flavor/aroma hop. Should I just use all Centennial? I would of course adjust for the AA difference.

Back