Cellaring Commercial Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Brewtopia, and this thread: http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/125433 really inspired me to start doing this. I have a wine cellar, so now the bottom is devoted to beer. I've got ~30 bottle so far, mostly 750mL bottles but not all: Orval(2), Ommegedon(2), RIS's - Avery, Oak Yeti, Brooklyn Cocolate(4), Cantillon Gueze/Kriek, Hansenns Gueze/Kriek, Rose de Gambrinus, Allagash Curieux, Rodenbach/Grand, The Duchess, Deus, Three Philosophers, Equinox, Roch 8/10, Grand Cru of the Emperor(2), and a few others that I'm forgetting....but that's the point;)

I started this thread to hopefully encourage others to try this, and to see what those who do this already are saving in their cellars. Or if you had a Samichlaus from 1988 like the above thread, let us know how it was and that we should really be putting away some. I feel this is a growing trend and is a worthwhile endeavor. Beers like Ommeggedon actual suggest you cellar it for at least 6 months on the label, and I want to see if Orval gets funkier with some age on it.

I know wop31 and topia are already, but is anybody esle thinking of trying this, or already doing it?

I am cellaring a lot at the moment, but I have no idea at what date I should drink them. They'll definitely be just special occasion beers for sure. I don't know what other people have around in their cellars in this area, so I don't know if an old beer night is a possibility.

In other news, I had the Curieux the other day. Really did taste like a trippel with a shot of bourbon dropped in it. Wish I would have sat on that one longer :)

Ive always wanted to try cellaring beer, but dont really have a good place for it (florida = no cellar). A friend of mine has been keeping some Big Foot in his closet for about a year now. Hes probably going to crack one open when this years Big Foot comes out so he can try them back to back.

I have a few odds and ends. It is interesting to compare the changes, both good and bad.

We has a local bottle shop that cellars beers and tosses them on the shelf every so often. It's pretty sweet to walk in and see something like several years of old foghorn on the shelf for an impromptu vertical.

I'm cellaring a few big English beers ATM, including some Thomas Hardy Ale. Though I like the idea of laying down some Belgians as well.

I've got a nice cellar, but it could be bigger. Some stars are the JW Lees 1998 Harvest Ale, and one bottle each of the JW Lees Harvest editions that he aged in different types of casks (4). I've got a Three Philosophers 750ml from 2003 in the fridge that I'm gonna drink soon.

I have some Quelque Chose 'cellaring'. That's about it. It is hard to find individual bottles for cellaring here that are not waaay overpriced. The Quelque Chose was a group buy on a case. (PA liquor laws ftw).

Evan! said:
I've got a Three Philosophers 750ml from 2003 in the fridge that I'm gonna drink soon.

Hehe, my brother and I, our joke is that you become an immediate Philosopher when you drink it :D.

That's awesome guys, especially the store selling the cellared beer. I need to get some JW Lees soon.

Evan! said:
I've got a Three Philosophers 750ml from 2003 in the fridge that I'm gonna drink soon.

That's great Evan, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. When you drink it you'll be able to say to the community; 'yes, lay this down for ~5 years its awesome' or 'after ~5 years its really oxidized and not drinkable'. Hopefully it isn't the later, but this will help those cellaring(or thinking about it) to decide what beers to cellar and for how long.

I had an Orval this weekend that was bottled in early 2006 and it definitely tasted different from one that I had recently that was bottled in late 2007 (they have the bottling dates on the label) The 2006 bottle had some serious spicy esters going and unfortunately I think it was a bit oxidized as I got a little cardboard taste to it as well.

c.n.budz said:
I had an Orval this weekend that was bottled in early 2006 and it definitely tasted different from one that I had recently that was bottled in late 2007 (they have the bottling dates on the label) The 2006 bottle had some serious spicy esters going and unfortunately I think it was a bit oxidized as I got a little cardboard taste to it as well.

How was it stored? Just old on the store shelf?

landhoney said:
How was it stored? Just old on the store shelf?

Yeah, store shelf. But I bought it at the same place that I always buy them, though this was the oldest one I've seen there. I picked up a bunch of other belgians there at the same timeand so far they have been fine. I'm just chalking this one up to a bad bottle....

I've got a few bottles I've kept cellared for a while, but I need to find a good space in the basement to build a proper storage unit (both for wine and beer). I've got one remaining bottle of Alaskan Smoked Porter that's probably peaked, a few bottles of some big Stone IPAs that might be a bit too aged, too. I've got a bottle of Dude's mead that's probably just about ready to crack. Few others, as well... some kept in the cellar at around 60°, a few others have been in the fridge. But, one of my goals as I work towards having the basement all fully organized is to have a separate space for everything, all insulated up to keep even the modest temperature swings in check.

I actually had a bottle of Three Philisophers a few weeks back that I thought could benefit from a little aging... kinda seemed that the hops were a bit more up-front than I was expecting (knowing that a quad can be slightly hoppier than other Belgian styles, they were still a little more present than I was expecting).

I suppose I should add, I have some remaining bottles, 12 12oz to be exact of one of my first experimental (name that non-style) Ales conditioning. The brew is well over a year old now, (I brewed it November 2006) and really coming into it's own. I have to start another batch very soon. It is actually amazing to see how it has unfolded from something I wasn't too impressed with to something (now that I am down to 12 ) I will only share with people who can 100% appreciate it.

I've startet to put beers away also. I have a few...off the top of my head..

Kuhneen - 2006 and 2007 Rasberry Eisbock
DFH - 120 IPA
Duchess in 11 ounce bottles
Kuhneen 2006 & 2007 4th Dementia
DFH Barley Wine
DFH Imort Ale
Avery Mephistopeles Stout
Bells Thrid Coast Old Ale

I envy you folks that have basements. Right now I have the "Brewtopia Beer Cellar"
Brewtopia Beer Cellar 003.jpg

Brewtopia Beer Cellar 006.jpg

Some of the beers currently in the cellar include:

1994 Hail Storm Weizen ('94 AHA Brewer's Conference)
1996 Quelque Chose (Unibroue)
1999 Adam (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2001 Zeebonck t' Volen Bier (Bierbrouwerj Volendam)
2001 Doggy Claws (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2002 World Wide Stout (Dogfish Head)
2003 Reverend, Salvation, Hog Heaven (Avery Brewing Co.)
2003 Gueuze (Cantillon)
2005 Brune (Pelforth Brewing)
2005 Interlude, Curieux, Musette (Allagash)
2005 M (Midnight Sun Brewing)
2005 New Light Grand Cru (Brouwerj De Hemel)
2006 Pannepot Old Fisherman's Ale (De Struise Brouwers)
2006 Malheur Michael Jackson Commemorative Edition (Brewery DeLandtsheer)
2006 Sanctification, Temptation (Russian River Brewing)
2006 Fred from the Wood (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2007 Fred from the Wood (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2007 Perdition, Damnation (Russian River Brewing)

...to name a few ;)

Brewtopia said:
I envy you folks that have basements. Right now I have the "Brewtopia Beer Cellar"
...to name a few ;)

I was hoping you'd chime in topia, but also that you wouldn't give your full list. I'm not advertising publicly the contents of my wine cellar either. ;)
I know you've had a fair share(to put it mildly:rolleyes: ) of older beers, could you give some insight into what beers improve with age and what happens to them(besides maybe the obvious big beers like imperial stouts and barleywines). Like cellaring Gueze and other sours, or other Belgian styles? From your list we can see some of the beers you've chosen to save, but what about others that you think would be good choices? Thanks.

Brewtopia said:
View attachment 4000

View attachment 4001

1994 Hail Storm Weizen ('94 AHA Brewer's Conference)
1996 Quelque Chose (Unibroue)
1999 Adam (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2001 Zeebonck t' Volen Bier (Bierbrouwerj Volendam)
2001 Doggy Claws (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2002 World Wide Stout (Dogfish Head)
2003 Reverend, Salvation, Hog Heaven (Avery Brewing Co.)
2003 Gueuze (Cantillon)
2005 Brune (Pelforth Brewing)
2005 Interlude, Curieux, Musette (Allagash)
2005 M (Midnight Sun Brewing)
2005 New Light Grand Cru (Brouwerj De Hemel)
2006 Pannepot Old Fisherman's Ale (De Struise Brouwers)
2006 Malheur Michael Jackson Commemorative Edition (Brewery DeLandtsheer)
2006 Sanctification, Temptation (Russian River Brewing)
2006 Fred from the Wood (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2007 Fred from the Wood (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
2007 Perdition, Damnation (Russian River Brewing)

...to name a few ;)

I think I see a Brooklyn in the front there? :D

At any rate....my mind just snapped back...Wasn't it your friend that got looted? Whatever happened with that?

Dang, seeing that Brooklyn prompted me to pick up a Local 1. I have seen it but never tried it. $9.50 a bottle, does that sound bad or good? I also had to get an Orval at the horrible price of *gasp* $6.75. I just need to taste it again :D. I doubt either will make it to the cellar though! :(

I've got some Local 1 in my basement I bought this summer.;) In the lab I got my PhD from the tradition was to pop a champagne cork into the ceiling tile and then initial and date it. I bought a Chimay Blue 2 yrs prior to my defense. It popped as good as any champagne cork and tasted even better!

I got some really nice beers from SWMBO for christmas and they all went into the beer cellar I started for the occasion. I keep it updated for now in my sig (mainly so I know what's in it without having to look). Since it's cold enough in my basement in the winter (about 55F) I will leave them there for the moment, till I can get a mini fridge down there in the summer.

My SMWBO really likes Chouffe and I like Duvel, so I want to see how well both age. The 3 monts I might open soon so I can see how it tastes.

zoebisch01 said:
Just came across this site: http://www.brewbasement.com/

That's an awesome site, thanks. He's also doing what I suggest we do:
http://www.brewbasement.com/reviews/jolly-pumpkin-oro-de-calabaza-aging-in-my-cellar/
That's one of the beers I forgot I had(from SS, sorry clayof2day:eek: ), so when April '08 rolls around and he posts his comments I'll see whether its time to drink or hold my bottle.

Here's an interesting experiment he's doing to see if storage is better upright or on the side(corked bottles):
http://www.brewbasement.com/featured/beer-cellar-experiment-update-and-announcement/
Also, it looks like Three Philosophers is a good candidate for cellaring

That guy has put alot of time into the whole process of cellaring and explaining how he's doing things. WOW!

I really want to start a beer cellar someday, but as long as I am in the military and have the possibility of moving every 3 years, it's not really an option. I know that the beer would get damaged if I had to pack it up and move somewhere else.

Another dream for the future.

Dang, seeing that Brooklyn prompted me to pick up a Local 1. I have seen it but never tried it. $9.50 a bottle, does that sound bad or good? I also had to get an Orval at the horrible price of *gasp* $6.75. I just need to taste it again . I doubt either will make it to the cellar though!

Picked up the Brooklyn at my retailer for $6.99.

landhoney said:
That's an awesome site, thanks. He's also doing what I suggest we do:
http://www.brewbasement.com/reviews/jolly-pumpkin-oro-de-calabaza-aging-in-my-cellar/
That's one of the beers I forgot I had(from SS, sorry clayof2day:eek: ), so when April '08 rolls around and he posts his comments I'll see whether its time to drink or hold my bottle.

Here's an interesting experiment he's doing to see if storage is better upright or on the side(corked bottles):
http://www.brewbasement.com/featured/beer-cellar-experiment-update-and-announcement/
Also, it looks like Three Philosophers is a good candidate for cellaring

I live not to far from Jolly Pumpkin and I'm a big fan of thier beer. I stop at the brewery occasionally and restock.

rbridges01 said:
Dang, seeing that Brooklyn prompted me to pick up a Local 1. I have seen it but never tried it. $9.50 a bottle, does that sound bad or good? I also had to get an Orval at the horrible price of *gasp* $6.75. I just need to taste it again . I doubt either will make it to the cellar though!

Picked up the Brooklyn at my retailer for $6.99.

Yeah that's central PA for ya :D

I plan on going up to Cooperstown this summer. It has been a while. I am certainly going to pick up some cellaring beer then! :D :off: My co-worker comes from Cooperstown and does not like Belgian style beer hehe.

These 6 have been added to my inventory/cellar: :ban:

(4) De Dolle Oerbier Reserva 2006 :fro:
(1) J.W. Lees Harvest Ale 1998
(1) J.W. Lees Harvest Ale 2005 Calvados Cask

The Oerbier Reserva '06 is what I'm really excited about, you can't find this stuff anywhere! I've only had it once, I may open a bottle soon to make sure its as good as I remember and has been stored properly, and then go back and buy the lot of them. :D I should buy some more Harvest Ale as well.

More added to the cellar:
2 - Rogue RIS 2007
3 - Chimay Blue Reserve(07)
2 - Samichlaus 2006
2 - Nostradamus
2 - Old Engine Oil
1 - North Coast Olde Stock Ale 2007 (they only had one :( )
1 - Traqair House Ale (Wee Heavy)
2 - Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
1 - St.Bernardus Abt 12

It's getting big enough( 40-50+ bottles) that I need to start an Excel program to track inventory/etc like with my wine. Guess that's a good problem to have.

More added today:

2 - more Samichlaus 2006
2 - DFH Fort
2 - DFH 120(haven't had this one, but still not drinking for at least 1 year)
1 - Chimay Grande Reserve(07) 750mL
1 - more North Coast Old Stocke Ale 2007
1 - more Ommegeddon( 3 total )
I still don't have the complete inventory up on excel, getting way behind. :mad:

I was looking at some of those high end wine refrigerators today just for pricing. I'd like to build something similar, but the most difficult part is to find an inexpensive cooling unit. Eventually something will come to mind.

Here's what I have in my cellar: Totals just over 5 cases

Allagash - Belgian Tripel Reserve
Allagash - Curiex Ale Aged in Bourbon Barrels
Arbor Brewing - Phat Abbott Tripel
Avery - Mephistopheles'
Avery - Salvation Belgian
Bells - Java Stout
Bells - Sparkling Ale
Bells Hop Slam
Bells Third Coast Old Ale
Big Eddys Imperial Stout
Brooklyn Barley Wine
Brooklyn Local 1
Dogfish Head - 120 IPA
Dogfish Head - Immort Ale
Dogfish Head - Old Scholl Barley Wine
Duchese De Borgone
Founders - Devil Dancer Triple IPA
Home Brew - Porter
Home Brew - Ron's Xmas Ale
Jolly Pumpkin - Bam Noire - Dark Farmhjouse Ale
Jolly Pumpkin - Biere de Mars - French Style Stock Ale
Jolly Pumpkin - Laroja Artisian Amber Ale
Jolly Pumpkin - Lucienrnaga - Grand Cru
Jolly Pumpkin - Madrugada Obscura - Dark Dawn Stout
Jolly Pumpkin - Maracaiibo Especial - Specail Brown Ale
Kuhnenn - Fourth Dementia - 2007
Kuhnenn - Jessies' Road Rash
Kuhnenn - Old Ale - 2007
Kuhnenn - Solar Eclipse
Kuhnenn - Tanacious Cassis
Kuhnennn - Rasberry Eisbock 2007
Ommegang - Chocolate Indulgence
Ommegang - Ommegeddon Farmhouse Ale
Ommegang -Three Philosophers (2007)
Ommegang- Three Philosophers (2006)
Promethieous
Rodenbach - Sour Ale
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale
Soudts - Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Stone - 070707 Vertical Epic

I started a little last year, but then we drank all but one of them:D

Now that I have resumed

Ommegang Ommegeddon (from my "old stock")
Stone Vertical 8-8-08 (whole case....soon to be 1 or 2 more)
Stone XI(2007) Anniversary
Stone XII(2008) Anniversary
Stone Old Guardian Barleywine
A couple of my first Apfelwein, well over a year old now
and a couple of my first HB (1 year+) in the fridge chilling for sunsumption later on this week.

I guess I need to diversify a little bit, get some other breweries in there.

When cellaring, are you laying bottles on the side?

I am getting a 12 bottle wine fridge that stores bottles horizontally. Is that a problem?

I have read mixed reviews on this but I cannot find those threads...

When cellaring beer it should be standing upright for a couple of reasons. If it is a cork and cage brew the active yeast can eat at the cork and cause oxygization.

If it is capped it can cause corrosion of the bottle cap. Long term aging should be done standing up.

If you plan on drinking them in a shorter time frame 1 year or less it shouldn't make to much of difference. Light and temp are you biggest factor to haveing beer age well. Generally the higher the ABV the longer you can age it (except for IPA's which you want to drink as fresh as possible) I normally age Stouts, Barley Wines and Sours mostly.

I have recently gotten into trading beers and have developed a fairly lage stash in a short amount of time. I need to have some people ove and drink some of this.

07,08,09,10 - Bigfoot (the 07 is drinking good)
Stone VE - 05,06,07,08,09,10
Stone RIS
Graditude - East End Brewery 09,10
Dark Lord 10
Sexual Chocolate
Life & Limb
Bitches Brew
Black Ops
2 Turtle Doves
3 French Hens
Westy 12
Westy 8
Black Betty
Night Stalker
Mirror, Mirror
Behemouth BW
Rabid Duck
The Lady of the Wood
The Vine

To name a few I have over 200 bottles and I can't seem to stop. Plus my three taps of homebrew and all my normal IPA's I drink without cellaring. I have a problem. I have two beer fridges plus my keggerator (three taps) plus a wine fridge. That doesn't include the 200(+) bottles in my cellar

Wow, that's impressive. I just got a small wine cooler. Looks like it can fit about 10 750ml bottles standing up. So far I have Black Tuesday and '10 christmas ale. Going to try to add a few more to it this weekend.

3c6ec321.jpg

I will have to make a list. I have just acquired 4 sours from trinity brewing that I am super excited about. Gabf gold winner too.

Back