Cataclysm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Reaction score
I guess the worlds ending today, so i though self: "Why not build a big beer that wont be ready until next year to celebrate living". And the end of history was already taken
So here is whats on the brew rig as we speak.
5Lbs of the base grain were smoked over oak @80* for 22 hours. And there are a few ounces of various unlabeled grains I had laying around tossed in to clean up the brewstash.
The Candi sugars and DME will be added progressively as the fermentation works of to minimize shock on the yeast. I am using a starter of wlp 099 built up to 6 liters at 1.060 for the base.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cataclysm
Brewer: Benjamin niesen
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.169 SG
Estimated Color: 69.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 132.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 93.5 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.7 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (600.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.7 %
2 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 6 7.4 %
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 7 7.4 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 8 3.7 %
4.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 107.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 17.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 7.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP0 Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 27 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 31.50 qt of water at 162.2 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.48gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

View attachment Cataclysm.bsmx

Is the DME there just to bump the OG further, or did you have it lying around?

Other than that, it looks pretty good. I've never used 099, but from what I know if it, it's normally used after a base yeast develops a flavor profile, and the 099 finishes the ferment off. I don't know what type of flavor profile 099 has, or really, if you'll notice it with the grain bill.

What's your estimated FG / when are you going to try this beast?

I actually dont know what the estimated FG even should be. Lots of variables and I havent ever brewed this big before.
The DME comes in because the current grain bill maxed out my mash tun, I didnt want to use to much simple sugar and I have a few pounds on hand. As far as the 099, the website says it produces english esters at low alchohol levels and will be more wine like at higher levels. I figured I would give it a try straight through. I plan to bulk age this for 6 months, force carb, and bottle to condition for at least another 6 months. We will see how far I get with the sugar addition.
The grain got me to 1.130, (4.5 gallons allowing space for the dme and sugars to be cut with a little water) ill probably throw in a little more DME, i would really like to break the 20% ABV barrier.

From what I know of big brewing, you're not likely to crack 20% without very careful regular additions of sugar. Yeast just doesn't like giant OG, and even the strongest peters out. It works better when you slowly give it more to eat over time. Check out the following threads for more information:

Fermenting 20% ABV
DFH 120 Minute Clone
1.200 20%

Thats part of why I am adding the dme and sugars. I have been following the normal protocols for aeration/rousing. I will check the gravity on day 6 and based on that reading probably introduce the first of several sugar additions. Part of why I wanted to go to 20% was the challenge. I have been brewing for about 4 years and I havent ever gone over 14% with a beer. Hopefully things work out. The fermentation is going strong so far.

Checked in today at 1.018, First sugar addition goes in today, I am thrilled with the current success, the taste is completely unique and definately has some good alcohol burn.

Back