Castle malts and substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihkelj

Reaction score
My two LHBS offer either Castle Malting or Weyerman malts. But looking at different grain substitutions, if I wanted a 2-row pale ale malt from Castle, I would need to get their Pilsner malt. In that case, would I need to go for a longer boil?

Also, the sub for Weyerman's or Briess's Pale ale is Castle Malting's Vienna. And vice-versa to get a Vienna malt from Castle, I would need to get their Pale Ale. Seems odd?

Here's an example of the grain substitution chart: http://bjorkjallarinn.is/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Brewing-grain-substitution-chart.pdf

I think the Vienna <--> Pale ale is them trying to match the color/EBC. You can see that Weyermann Pale Ale is closer in color to Castle's Vienna, than Castle's Pale ale. It is kinda weird. If you post up the recipe you want to make we can help you with the substitutions

Yeah, I guessed it was about color. I don't have a specific recipe in mind right now, but I'll be using mostly Castle malts in the future. So if a given recipe calls for pale ale malt, I should go with Castle's pale ale? Taste and characteristics are more important to me than color.

In my opinion, I would stick with the Pale Ale malts and not sub for Vienna. I think the maltsters have a different flavor profile in mind when they make Vienna vs Pale Ale. You will be fine using either Castle's or Weyermann's version. Although Castle's is a little bit darker so you might think about subbing in some Pilsen to keep it light enough.

Ironically, I don't like using too much Pale Ale malt in my Pale Ales. I'll use 20-25% pale ale, maybe 3-5% caramel 40-60L, and the rest 2-row pale malt. Turns out great. Maybe try a batch as 50/50 and see how you like it. You can adjust from there

Back