Cask to Liquor tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsusbrew

Reaction score
Ok so I was kijiji and I i saw a keg with "make an offer". I said $20 and the guy said sure!
Turns out i drove half and hour to get to his house and it turned out to be a cask... with a big ol bung hole. I was hoping to turn the keg into a liquor tank.

I am hoping for advice. Do you think I can jam a keystone (wooden or plastic) , drill a hole in the bottom as I was planning on?

Will the keystone be water tight?

let me know.

Any markings? Is it maybe actually a keg, but like a Hoff Stevens brand? You can buy wooden bungholes for them still, and just mallet it in.

If it's a firkin I wouldn't cut it. I would sell it to someone for a return on investment and then spend that money on a new keg/kettle.

Take pics of it and post on here. Someone who uses them would be able to tell you it's value.

I'm not sure what style yours is but some of the firkins at my lhbs are upwards of $100-150.

Back