• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cask Breather / Aspirator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Brand new - never been used. $65 includes free shipping to lower 48.
In addition to cask ales, these can be used for CO2 cold crashing and O2 free transfers.

Attachments

• caskbreather1.jpg
    caskbreather1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Could you provide a brief description how to use this device including what it fits on for me???. Sorry I am in the dark on this product..... but interested.

I'm not a pro at this but this is how I understand it all to work. You connect a CO2 source to the IN port at around 5 psi and then a gas line from the OUT port to your cask/fermenter. The breather keeps the pressure between the two at atmospheric pressure. Original designed for cask ales which are not carbonated. Normally as ale is drained from the cask, it allowed air in, which is bad for the shelf-life of the ale. The breather allowed CO2 into the cask instead at even pressure. This kept it fresher longer without carbonating it. Using a similar process, some brewers connect the OUT to the fermenter so that when they cold crash and there is negative pressure in the fermenter, the breather equalizes that pressure with CO2 instead of the fermenter sucking up blow-off solution or oxygen. This is what I bought them for (bought 5 to get a good deal and this is the last one I am selling). Note - I have not yet done this but have seen other posts on this forum who say they have and it works as described. In addition to cold crashing I also plan to use mine to equalize the pressure when closed transferring from fermenter to keg. ie - co2 at 5 psi connected to IN port. Out port connected to blow-off tube at top of fermenter. connect drain plug from bottom of fermenter to liquid out port on keg. as fermenter drains, it would normally pull in O2. Instead this will pull in CO2 at equal pressure. Hope that helps.

I realized pictures may help better understand it. In the first pic, the long clear tube is my blow-off normally connected to top of fermenter. In second picture - when I am ready to cold crash, I will disconnect the bottom section of the blow-off tube via the QD and connect the cask breather. On the top end of the breather is a CO2 regulator. As the fermenter cools during cold crash and negative pressure builds, the breather will equalize that pressure with CO2. When I am ready to keg, I will connect the drain hose shown at bottom left from the fermenter to the keg. As it drains, the space in the fermenter is equalized with CO2. The plan is for this setup to allow for cold crash and transfer with no O2 contact.

Attachments

• CO2 Setup 1.jpg
    CO2 Setup 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • CO2 Setup 2.jpg
    CO2 Setup 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Back