American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged this today. Smells and tastes good so far; I dry hopped for 5 days with 2.33oz of Cascade since I had .33oz left over as I only used .66oz as the first wort hop due to the AA in my batch of Cascade being 9.3% instead of the recipe's 5.5%!

It's a very pale colored beer - I was hoping for something a little more orangey in appearance, but it's the taste that matters and so far it tastes promising!

I brewed this today. I was using a new PID and did not run an auto-tune……overshot my mash temp. Mashed a bit high….ok quite a bit high… so it will be interesting to see how this comes out. Other than that another good brew day. Thanks for the recipe.

I fermented this at 65 degreese.. Transferred into a keg today… FG was 1.010.. The sample tastes really darn good
Dryhopping in the keg.. will report back.

Thanks again

I used fresh zest of a naval orange and added 2 oz with 10min left in the boil. Its been in the bottle 1 week so I am patiently waiting. All gravity samples tasted awesome with a medium orange kick. Cheers!

How does that fresh orange zest taste, strangebrew?

I really liked the 2oz of fresh zest..it's been in the bottles for about a month or so and has balanced nicely. Good orange flavor on front side complimented by the cascades but still has that pale malt flavor I love. All and all a great beer :0)

Has anyone tried Munich instead of the Vienna? Or a combination of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This came out pretty darn tasty. This keg will go fast.

1398818162922.jpg

15 minutes left on my mash.. I'm pretty excited about this one!

Brewed this on 12 April.
Primary for 14 days, I had planned on a 2 week secondary, but saw small bubbles rising to the surface.
Decided to leave it in secondary another week. Average temp has been around 74 degrees.
Should I leave it, or should I bottle it and go on to the next batch?

Thanks... Shnick

Brewed this on 12 April.
Primary for 14 days, I had planned on a 2 week secondary, but saw small bubbles rising to the surface.
Decided to leave it in secondary another week. Average temp has been around 74 degrees.
Should I leave it, or should I bottle it and go on to the next batch?

Thanks... Shnick

Seems like you have given it good time..I say crash it and keg or bottle :0)

Brewed this one but added 3 lbs of DME I had sitting around which upped the OG to 1.075 and it finished at 1.020. It's pretty sweet but also quite tasty. Love the orange color!

image.jpg

GeorgiaMead, this is a very hoppy beer.
5 oz of cascades is (to me) comparable to a really strong Stone IPA.
Good luck!

Here's mine...
cbc764d373f840dcd25cc9594dc74ee4_zps8783e9b2.jpg

I reduced the hops cause my wife isn't a hop head like a lot of us, so I brew her beers so she is happy and allows me to keep brewing.

I cut it down to 3 oz in 4 additions at 60,15,5,0 and no dry hop

Does the orange zest need to be sanitized or is throwing it in the boil 10 min good enough. Does the zest get racked into the fermenter or has anyone added extra during the dryhop???

It'll be fine in the last 10 min. I left it in the primary. I didn't add anything besides the hops.

I did a variation of the OP's recipe, dialing back the hops a good amount, as I wanted to make something the wife would enjoy. My recipe finished at 23 IBUs, and I dry hopped with 1 oz of Cascade for 5 days. I also used less orange peel and coriander, hoping for just a hint of each, in the final beer.

I kegged it this past weekend (finished at 1.010), and it tasted very promising, with just that touch of orange that I was looking for. I'm looking forward to drinking this in another week. Should be an easy drinker (at 5.5%) to finish off the summer.

Brewing this for a wedding in couple months. LHBS had all ingredients and will be following to the letter. Question around the Safale 04. My ambient fermentation temp will be about 66. Too high for this yeast? Should I try to bring it down in water/towel method? Any comments on yeast flavors at this temp are appreciated.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408203508.534538.jpg

Brewing this for a wedding in couple months. LHBS had all ingredients and will be following to the letter. Question around the Safale 04. My ambient fermentation temp will be about 66. Too high for this yeast? Should I try to bring it down in water/towel method? Any comments on yeast flavors at this temp are appreciated.
View attachment 218065

Might be late, but your good at that temp no cooling needed.

I have this in the primary and all of a sudden the airlock went level
It's been 10 days at 20-21 degrees using us-05 yeast
Did anything go wrong?

I have this in the primary and all of a sudden the airlock went level
It's been 10 days at 20-21 degrees using us-05 yeast

It should be done by now.
Usual story, take a gravity reading now, drink lots of home-brew for three days, take another reading. If its the same you can bottle.

It should be done by now.

Usual story, take a gravity reading now, drink lots of home-brew for three days, take another reading. If its the same you can bottle.

Though this has to go in secondary for dry hoping ?!

I thought this ought to go in secondary for dry hopping ????

I thought this ought to go in secondary for dry hopping ????

Not necessary. I dry hop in primary all the time with no I'll effects, though I do tend to dry hop in the keg now. Seems to last longer though it does take a bit to hit its stride.

I racked off this today into secondary, dry hopped and took a reading
SG was 1045 on the 29/8/14 today 8/9/14 it's at 1010 with no bubbles coming out for the last 4 days
Is this ok?

I racked off this today into secondary, dry hopped and took a reading
SG was 1045 on the 29/8/14 today 8/9/14 it's at 1010 with no bubbles coming out for the last 4 days
Is this ok?

Sounds like its finished to me!

it should still be producing co2, you just cant see it, its just a thin layer between the beer and o2 it will keep your beer from becoming flat, dont bump shake or move it until your ready to bottle. Are you cold crashing? probaly not i'd assume. give it 3 days to sit in your secondary aka clearing vessel. and bottle that nectar!

One note on the batch I did, I had to cold crash it after 2 wks in secondary, it wouldn't stop bubbling. But I tell ya, that's the best beer I've made to date. You're gonna love it, just give it time in the bottles as well. It'll be harsh, but it'll mellow out and blend nicely.

also if your dry hopping, I'm no pro on this topic, but i'd asssume you want to give it 3 days to flavor at 68-72 degrees. Ive heard anything over 7 will give it a grassy taste, and grass is for cows bro!

I can't get behind that 7 day theory (I regularly go two weeks), but I have no science to back it. YMMV I guess.

Man, just tapped this and it is fantastic! Only change I made was I dry hopped with 2 ozs of Citra rather than Cascade.

Definitely brewing this again. Just Served 10 gallons at a hall party and keg blew in 2 hours. . Some said best Pale they have ever had. I doubled the orange peel and it was a bit too much for me. Will scale it back for my own brew. Phenomenal recipe otherwise.

If you keg it and sip on it over a month, I'd recommend dry hopping in the keg. I did that on my last two batches of a similar recipe and it was freshly aromatic all the way through. Might take 3-4 days before the aroma shows up, as the process is slower in a chilled keg. Also the reason why it doesn't become grassy.

I dry hopped with home grown Cascade and some orange peels that I poured a little boiling water over. I am hoping to brew this again this weekend!

Latest posts

Back