Cascade SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout4u

Reaction score
Brewed an all grain Cascade SMaSH,

10lbs Maris other
.5 oz cascade (60min)
.5oz cascade (10min)

11oz safale-04 dry

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.43%

CO2: 10psi

To me, it's too sweet. At this point its been on the gas for 7 days and needs more gas to boost the goodness.

Any ideas what may help this One?

(I know, it's not much to work with)

It's too sweet because you only used 1 ounce of hops for I am assuming 5 gallons...are you looking for a way to make it more bitter now??

Yep, not enough hops. You'd have about 15IBU's for a beer with a 1.059OG, which is very malty.

You could try adding some bittering extract, or brew a second batch that is too bitter, and blend the two. Or leave it as is and chalk it up to experience.

My thought is that you didn't use nearly enough hops and that it is just really unbalanced.. Put it in Beersmith and you only have 15 IBU. A pale ale should have 30-45 IBU. You could boil some more hops and add it to the beer. I am not sure how to do this but I think you would need at least another ounce of Cascade.

you could try to boil an ounce of hops in about a cup of water (or more and boil it down), then add that to your keg?

but really doing a hop shot is probably your best bet

Dry hop it in the keg with 2 more ounces of Cascade. When you like the flavor you can pull the hop bag or leave it in the whole time until the keg kicks.

I believe I'll chalk it up to experience. I was going for something a little more balanced for the wife, but this definitely didnt do the trick. Still a drinkable beer, but one I wont be making again. If I go with something similar, I'll probably double the hops at each addition. I kind of figured this was the case, but thought Id ask. Thanks for the help

you could try to boil an ounce of hops in about a cup of water (or more and boil it down), then add that to your keg?

but really doing a hop shot is probably your best bet

+1
Hop shot in boiling water id say 5ml for 30mins at least and while your at it dry hop that b.

I know a local brewery that dry hops a big bag of hops in the keg before they fill it with beer, and it then sits aging in their cooler room.

While I'm no where near knowing what I'm doing, I've seen a good brewer do what csurowiek is saying.

It can't hurt, and might fix it for ya. :)

My homegrown cascade SMaSH was something like 10oz in 5 gallons (including dry hopping). As others have said, consider a hop shot.

Something else to consider would be brewing up another batch at a higher IBU and mixing the two.

I threw the recipe into the Brewmaster's friend site and came up with the 15 IBU as well before i brewed it. I had looked up some well known American lagers/pilsners and saw similar results on the IBU. I'm not sure if my fault is using MO in this case or I'm a DF (use your inagination) for looking up these clone recipes.

I threw the recipe into the Brewmaster's friend site and came up with the 15 IBU as well before i brewed it. I had looked up some well known American lagers/pilsners and saw similar results on the IBU. I'm not sure if my fault is using MO in this case or I'm a DF (use your inagination) for looking up these clone recipes.

Yes, American lagers do have low bitterness. BUT, their OG is much lower, they use less malty grain (probably mostly plain old pale malt) and use adjuncts like corn or rice. Also, they are already slightly on the malty side. By using all-grain, MO (flavoursome and malty) at 1.059 you have added considerable maltiness with no extra bitterness. Have a look at one of Biermunchers recipes (eg. centennial blonde) - he shows a good chart comparing OG to IBU's to determine the maltiness/bitterness balance of a beer. At 1.059 and 15IBU's, you are off the chart, 18IBU's would have been extra malty, 23IBU's would be malty, 28IBU's would be balanced.

Have a look at one of Biermunchers recipes (eg. centennial blonde) - he shows a good chart comparing OG to IBU's to determine the maltiness/bitterness balance of a beer.

Downloaded the chart. If I make another smash like this again(probably will) I'll be using this chart to try to make it "balanced" and see how that is. Im a rookie AG brewer, so I expect to flub from time to time.

Latest posts

Back