Quantcast

career change possibility.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Billy-Klubb

HBT Berry Puncher
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
our local bottle shop got a new manager a while ago and he brought in all sorts of craft our town has never seen. distributors told him he has the best selection of Paradox in southern Minnesota :)rockin:). they are now looking for an Assistant Manager. I have been an AM in a steel yard and for a methane/oil/water transfer welding/pipe welding shop. I need to talk to the manager.

1977Brewer

Free Dan Hess.
Reaction score
Retail AM's make what can only be described as sh!t money, and they get the sh!t hours too.

Might be different at a bottle shop. Hope so.

JonM

Reaction score
Can't hurt to at least check it out. At the very least, you might make a new pal who has access to tons of good beer.

OP
Billy-Klubb

Billy-Klubb

HBT Berry Puncher
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
as advertised the starting wage is more than I made last year, but now our insurance is paid. I'd hate to lose decent insurance not just for myself but for our boys as well.

1977Brewer

Free Dan Hess.
Reaction score
as advertised the starting wage is more than I made last year, but now our insurance is paid. I'd hate to lose decent insurance not just for myself but for our boys as well.

Oh hell. Check it out then. I'd take a small pay hit to do something I love. Beer is something I love.

Hamaki

Reaction score
If you make the switch but down the line things don't work out I suspect there will always be demand for welders with your KSAs. I'd check it out.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
I don't want to get into politics, but if you are really interested in the job, take a look at Obamacare. That's what it's there for.

agrazela

Reaction score
our local bottle shop got a new manager a while ago and he brought in all sorts of craft our town has never seen. distributors told him he has the best selection of Paradox in southern Minnesota :)rockin:). they are now looking for an Assistant Manager. I have been an AM in a steel yard and for a methane/oil/water transfer welding/pipe welding shop. I need to talk to the manager.
Ya can't drink steel, son! Or methane or oil. I suppose you could drink water, but why would you?...when there's beer!

BEER!!!

MaddBaggins

cervisiam vitae
Reaction score
If you can swing it, do it. I just made the change last year. I went from QC and supervisor at a manufacturing joint making good money to running a small bottle shop and brewing on a 3bbl system for a small place. I make crap money now and I look forward to work everyday.:mug:

MaddBaggins

cervisiam vitae
Reaction score
I don't want to get into politics, but if you are really interested in the job, take a look at Obamacare. That's what it's there for.

And this, because of the much smaller income, we qualified for some good tax credits on health care. I got us on a pretty good plan for not much coin thru the Health Care Marketplace.

Ridire

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
And this, because of the much smaller income, we qualified for some good tax credits on health care. I got us on a pretty good plan for not much coin thru the Health Care Marketplace.
Wait, I thought he said the pay is MORE, not less. Obamacare is not an insurance provider. It is merely a way for people who don't make a ton of money, and don't have employer provided insurance, to get a subsidized policy.

But, it's not a bad idea to go to the exchange (aka "Obamacare") and see how much it would cost for similar insurance. If the "more money" is equal to the cost of the insurance, then it's a financial wash to take the job, right?