Carboys for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
Does anyone use a carboy for a primary fermenter instead of using a bucket? I noticed on a post someone does that with cider, I was wondering if you are making a 5 gallon batch using a carboy as a primary, is ok to just use an airlock?

As long as it's a 6.5 gallon carboy, you're fine. Lots of people use carboys as primaries. Easier to hook up a blow-off tube to, for one thing, or you can just use an airlock (NOT if you are using a 5 gallon carboy, though, you won't have enough room for the krausen).

BoxerDog said:
Does anyone use a carboy for a primary fermenter instead of using a bucket? I noticed on a post someone does that with cider, I was wondering if you are making a 5 gallon batch using a carboy as a primary, is ok to just use an airlock?

I primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy then secondary in a 5 gallon carboy.

You can primary in a 5 gallon carboy, but you're most likely going to need to use a blow off tube rather than an airlock, or you might end up shooting your airlock up to your ceiling or worse.

Austin

I don't see the point of buing different size carboys for primary and secondary , the price seems to be negligable and your limiting your self on what each one can be used for. I just use .5 gallon for primary and secondary.

The kit that I bought came with a 6.5 and a 5 gal carboy, so I use them both (plus my other free 5 gal from my boss)! :rockin:

I use carboys for everything except bottling. Melikes the glass instead of the plastic. Primary = glass w/ blowoff tube
clearing = glass w/ lock

Do they make PET plastic carboys in 6.5 , I cant seem to find them online.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help!

yeah. I use carboys for everything except bottling also, and now that i dont bottle... the buckets are just sanitation containers.

I have a 5 gallon water bottle (Number 7) that I intend on giving a second chance as my secondary. I'm still not 100% convinced that using a 7 will ruin my beer if it's a secondary.

Definitely 6 1/2 for primary, 5 for secondary and soda keg for tapping. I had some nasty vinegar with a batch and I quit using a plastic bucket primary. I use a blow off tube in the primary. Most of the time it is not needed, but there have been occasions when a significant amount of blow by ended up in the lock bucket.

mcaustin said:
I primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy then secondary in a 5 gallon carboy.

You can primary in a 5 gallon carboy, but you're most likely going to need to use a blow off tube rather than an airlock, or you might end up shooting your airlock up to your ceiling or worse.

Austin

I had no clue what I was doing the first time I brewed. I got some book that I was too lazy to read and ordered the equipment and kit online. Well at mid night I heard a explosion and my large walk in closet was covered in crap and the ceilling was covered in crap too, a HUGE mess.

flyhigh said:
I had no clue what I was doing the first time I brewed. I got some book that I was too lazy to read and ordered the equipment and kit online. Well at mid night I heard a explosion and my large walk in closet was covered in crap and the ceilling was covered in crap too, a HUGE mess.
Did you have Jenkins clean it up?

Latest posts

Back