Carboy Useless Now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
Thanks to one of those stupid wine whip drill degassers my 6 gal carboy and most likely my stout are ruined. Damn thing is stuck in the carboy and due to the way its designed wont come out. :mad:

too funny. it's like the kid who gets his head stuck in the spindles of a railing! :ban:

OP, i agree with these guys, man. if you got it in the carboy, you can get it out. it might be frustrating, but it's not stuck.

I echo a poster above why are you degassing beer? Like most things that are in need of unsticking just use some lube. a little crisco around the rim of the carboy may do it.

I echo a poster above why are you degassing beer?

I forgot my ;) in my post. I'm assuming the OP was using it pre-fermentation to aerate; which, if that's the case, it shouldn't matter.

Ferment away, and figure out how to get it out after you rack to bottle/keg.

If you were just aerating then get the damn thing out by any means needed and put it back in the kettle and bring it to a boil again to sanitize it. that is assuming you haven't pitched yeast, or dont have extra yeast on hand. I have had a beer that I was not totally satisfied that proper sanitation was insured and did a short reboil. It just meant a longer brew day but insured the safety of the beer.

If the thing was sanitized, and you were just aerating, AND you can still get the stopper and airlock on, I say just let it go.

You hear about people dropping all sorts of things like gaskets, hydrometers, etc... in to their primaries, and they seem to turn out fine for the most part.

If you were just aerating then get the damn thing out by any means needed and put it back in the kettle and bring it to a boil again to sanitize it. that is assuming you haven't pitched yeast, or dont have extra yeast on hand. I have had a beer that I was not totally satisfied that proper sanitation was insured and did a short reboil. It just meant a longer brew day but insured the safety of the beer.

huh? :confused: i figured AZ was joking with his post..... i hope you are.

OP, like AZ-IPA said, even if you have to leave it in there til after you rack the beer out of primary, don't sweat it. if it was sanitized, which i can only assume it was, you're good, man.
RDWHAHB :mug:

I feel pretty stupid. After thinking about it just nowall I really needed to do was stick a wire into the carboy and hook the blades into the up position. :eek: Its out now. :eek:

Congrats. Wait until you shoot a rubber stopper through that hole. I just conquered that today. :rockin:

For future referrence, it wouldn't hurt the beer any, and to the other poster, I'm not sure what you mean by reboil the wort...i would imagine that an hour of boiling would be sufficient unless you were holding it for a day or two. The sanitation concern should lay with the fermenter or racking equipment.

For reference.... there is a trick to pulling wine corks out of a bottle when it has been pushed in fully... It's almost a bar trick now.... You can take bets on it.
I had youtube link on it at one time... can't find it now. But it invovles a plastic grocery bag. You could use the same technique with a rubber stopper and some lubrication on an empty carboy.

Congrats. Wait until you shoot a rubber stopper through that hole. I just conquered that today. :rockin:

oh man, that's always fun. i wonder how many brewers have a bung permanently stuck in a carboy. i did it once and got it out, but it was almost more trouble than it was worth.

umm. Shouldn't it come out when the blades are moved into the down position by pulling it out. :confused:

ding ding ding! folks, we have a winner!!! someone buy this guy a pitcher! :mug:
yeah, they're designed to be pulled right out or the neck of the carboy, thus the hinged wings. i'm guessing the OP disconnected it from his drill when it was still in the carboy and it fell all he way in.
OP, i don't use a wine whip anymore, but when i did i'd just leave it on my drill after aerating. once i had everything pitched and closed up, i'd then take it off the drill and clean it with the rest of my equipment.

Back