Carboy too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiyall

Reaction score
Last weekend we made a 5 gal batch of hefeweizen and it all seemed to go pretty well. After sitting in my 5 gal carboy, for 16 hours, I heard a small "pop" come from the room it is sitting in. When I went in to check and I saw the top of the fermenter lock blown completely off and foam oozing out of the carboy and into the container it is all sitting in. It looks as though close to one gallon of beer has been leaked out but doesn't seem to have affected the beer in that is still in the carboy. My 7 gallon bucket is occupied thats why I put it in the carboy. Should I get another bucket for the next batch or was that something kinda rare?

No, you need another bucket. You can't ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallon container. Let it finish at this point but either get more buckets, larger carboys or brew 4 gallon batches for the 5 gallon carboy.

Most people who bother to 'secondary' in a 5 gallon carboy do it just to free up their buckets.

Back