Carboy Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laser83Eric

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been brewing for a little while now but due to budget, I've been sticking with buckets for all my fermentations. I'm looking to get a couple carboys soon; just looking for overall opinions between glass carboys and the "better bottle" plastic carboys. I know most people use glass, but I have a toddler running around and I'd hate to see one break with him near it. What are your opinions? Does the different material really affect flavor or outcome that much?

Thanks.

There is also nothing wrong with sticking to buckets.

I'll start the ranting by saying that I will never own a glass carboy. Way too dangerous for the debatable advantage of being gas impermeable and free of scratches that might harbor nasties.

Search the forum for carboy accidents!!! And reportedly a DEATH.

Plastic buckets are fine. Heck, I pick up 5 gallon paint buckets off the job and use them. You would be surprised at what kind of flavors different colors add to the beer.😄
Seriously, I have always used plastic carboys and buckets and have had no ill effects. I prefer to use carboys so I can watch the fermentation but I don't think I would ever spend the money on glass. Plus, like others have said, they can be dangerous. Have read quite a few stories about them breaking.

I moved to plastic carboys after starting with glass and breaking one after a few years. After seeing the huge shards, I suddenly lost my resolve to carry them up and down my basement stairs filled with wort or beer. I love my plastic carboys and brew hauler straps now - lighter, safer, clean easy with OxyClean soak.

huge fan of better bottles, haven't used my glass carboy in years for all the reasons that are vehemently argued in their favor. I'm sure plenty of brewers would say the same about their glass carboys, its just a preference thing. And, for me, a safety thing.

I use mostly glass. It will last longer than plastic buckets. Though i have a 30 liter wineglasscarboy with a wooden carry thingy for it i piced up at a 2nd hand store for about 10 bucks. Really easy to clean. and hard to break if you don't starting trowing it around. and plastic for siphoning out the flat beer from the yeast before adding primingsugars.

you can see some of the cardboy in the pic i uploaded. easier to clean then the plastic once. well at least i think so, just some starsan and hot water, splashing it around and it is clean.

2013-08-27 14.21.14.jpg

I know most people use glass

I'm curious how you know this. ON another thread someone mentioned that using glass is only an American thing, hardly anyone uses glass outside the US. Even in the US, I doubt the glass:not-glass ratio is very high. What's your reasoning for wanting to use glass? From your post all I see is a potential problem that it will cause.

I'm curious how you know this. ON another thread someone mentioned that using glass is only an American thing, hardly anyone uses glass outside the US. Even in the US, I doubt the glass:not-glass ratio is very high. What's your reasoning for wanting to use glass? From your post all I see is a potential problem that it will cause.

lol wut? Most of the people i know brewing in norway (well my friends) uses glass cardboys

I bet this dude goes on truck forums and asks whether Fords are better than Chevys. (They're not btw) :D

Why would you move to carboys from buckets?

Buy 30L buckets...dont waste your time with carboys unless your aging something for > 3 months.

I've both and like the plastic better because it's lighter. The plastic is a Better Bottle. No idea on the glass. It was hecho en Mexico. I got it from a friend.

And Nissan is best.

i enjoy using glass.. it has a more classy feel to it lol... naah i have it coz i got it cheap... but i prefer using that then the plastic one i have aswell.

and no u wrong... Volvo is the best

I have glass because when I started brewing 20 yrs ago that was what we used. I still use all the ones I bought back then.

Shampoo is better. It goes on first and cleans the hair.

I use glass because when I got my kit, it came with 2 glass carboys and a bottling bucket. I use a plastic Mr. Beer lbk for test batches. They all seem to do the job just fine.

Soo... I should use a Volvo to ferment and a redhead for everything else? :D That might be dangerous considering the wife is a brunette...

Thanks for this input guys. It seems like everyone I talk to brewing 5 gallons around me uses glass, and I've never seen a better bottle in action. I'm just looking for something that I can see the action through. Buckets aren't a whole lot of fun to look at.

Buckets aren't a whole lot of fun to look at.

You got that right. You can brew great beer in either a bucket or carboy, but you arm yourself with the gift of sight, when using a carboy. This will allow you to hone in on and fine tune your craft. I currently use glass, as this is my preference. If you do go with glass, do yourself a favor and buy a brew hauler. It will help you move a full carboy with much less effort.

yeah, all options will work. I don't have a backyard to wash my stuff out in so I have to wash out my fermenters in a bathtub. I've had some scary moments cleaning my slippery glass carboy (and I don't own a brew hauler). One read through some of the posts about people slicing themselves open requiring surgery because of their carboys pushed me toward the plastic, haven't missed the glass one tiny bit. For me, no benefits that glass can offer outweigh the risk of me or someone else getting badly hurt.

yeah, all options will work. I don't have a backyard to wash my stuff out in so I have to wash out my fermenters in a bathtub. I've had some scary moments cleaning my slippery glass carboy (and I don't own a brew hauler). One read through some of the posts about people slicing themselves open requiring surgery because of their carboys pushed me toward the plastic, haven't missed the glass one tiny bit. For me, no benefits that glass can offer outweigh the risk of me or someone else getting badly hurt.

uhm you know its quit easy to clean? i either just lift it to the side and let it drain out, or use an auto siphon and let it do the work.. will work at an even level but slow flow.

I don't have glass as I stated before.

Between buckets and Better Bottles I find the Better Bottles far easier to clean. I just soak overnight with oxyclean, rinse, add a half gallon of hot water and a washcloth and swirl it until all the crud is gone. At most - 10 minutes. With the buckets you have to reach inside, wipe down, turn, wipe, turn, wipe etc.....

I have used one Better Bottle for almost 2 1/2 years and not a visible scratch at all.

BTW, get the 6 gallon. If you do not secondary, the 5 gallon is too big for small batches and too small for 5 gallon batches.

uhm you know its quit easy to clean?

Never said it was hard to clean. But, one way or the other you need to rinse the oxyclean and gunk out. Using an autosiphon over and over for each rinsing sounds mind numbingly slow.

Never said it was hard to clean. But, one way or the other you need to rinse the oxyclean and gunk out. Using an autosiphon over and over for each rinsing sounds mind numbingly slow.

well i just do other stuff while thats going on. like when im going to bottle beer or transfer beer or mead to 2nd fermenter. you could just slowly lay it on its side aswell... never had problem with my 8 gallon glass crardboy

well i just do other stuff while thats going on. like when im going to bottle beer or transfer beer or mead to 2nd fermenter. you could just slowly lay it on its side aswell... never had problem with my 8 gallon glass crardboy

Back