Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1268

Reaction score
I have five gals of lager and a 6 gal carboy what do I do with the extra room

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What response are you expecting? That is like asking what you should do to fill a drinking glass.

In all seriousness, you have 4 options. Fill it with water and dilute your beer and ABV, fill it with something to flavor it (probably lay not what you're going for with a lager, leave it be and just don't open it too much except when necessary before bottling... Or option 4 is to just forego secondary and leave it in primary for the full ti.e, which is what most here would recommend anyway.

Either 3 or 4 should not be a problem.

Hah I love smart Alec answers thanks I just left it . If it comes out it comes out if not then it s waterin the daisies thanks for the response

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Leave it alone... don't mess with anything and just let it ferment out as normal... if you are transferring to secondary for lager, then use a more size appropriate container, but for now, just DWHAHB

I turned our extra room into an office. It was some work, but worth it in the end.

Are you using the carboy for anything while you have the lager going? You could keep coins in it. Probably a beta fish, even.

Many of the above responses confuse me, but I am aged and a little slow. Anyways . . .

In primary fermentation, a little headspace is fine, you'll need it for krausen and the space will fill with the CO2 the yeast are pumping out, so your risk of oxidation is low.

If you are transferring to a secondary fermentor, then headspace and oxidation is more of an issue. You can shoot a little CO2 into the headspace after you rack, if you are concerned.

Back