carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Up until now I have been using a 61/2 gallon bucket as a primary but I also own a 6 gallon glass carboy that i want to use as a primary for my next batch. Question is should I use a blow off or does everyone think I have enough head room to just throw a airlock on? at this point I only brew ales and I realize different beers ferment more " actively" but in general should I ok with just the airlock. Thanks.

IMO, it's a good idea to use a blow off tube on all primary fermentation vessels. At least for the first week or so...

Use FermCap and you will be fine*

*Exception is Belgian yeasts, which seem to shrug off FermCap.

Aschecte said:
Up until now I have been using a 61/2 gallon bucket as a primary but I also own a 6 gallon glass carboy that i want to use as a primary for my next batch. Question is should I use a blow off or does everyone think I have enough head room to just throw a airlock on? at this point I only brew ales and I realize different beers ferment more " actively" but in general should I ok with just the airlock. Thanks.

I tried that with my most recent batch... Pitched the yeast around 6 pm, by midnight it was bubbling the he'll out of the airlock, then woke up the next morning to find beer all over the floor and the airlock on the ground.

I'd recommend a bigger carboy

Use a blowoff. First batch I did in my 6 gallon carboy ended up on my ceiling. It's easy/safe insurance.

Use a blow off +1. Different yeasts ferment differently. Some may be super aggressive some may be more gradual. However, blow off tubes accommodate everything and it is a good move!

I assume you're using a 6 1/2 gallon fermentor vs 61/2 gallon fermentor:drunk: As for the root of the question...it really depends on what you're brewing. The lower the gravity and volume, the less krausen there will be. Both %volume and %ABV depends on your headspace of your fermentor.

Back