Carboy loaded. 1st batch ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty excited, got my first brew ever fermenting right now. It's a brown ale. Went in Sunday night. This morning got some bubbles and now tonight the yeast has completely covered the top of the (baby) beer. Last night I stored it in my shed wrapped in a sweater. The temp last night was in the mid 60's. I now have it in a fridge where it will stay for the remainder of the fermentation. On the fridges lowest setting, the temp hovers between 55-57. My question is this: should I just turn it off all together? If fermenting adds 5-10 degrees inside the Carboy, and the ideal temp is 65-68 the fridge being on would be too cold right? Also, when should I, (if I should at all *noob) take another gravity reading/ taste the progress. Any input would be awesome. Thanks peoples.

image-155739191.jpg

If you have a thermometer you can tape it to the outside of the carboy and insulate it. That would let you control the temp manually. Let it free rise now, and then kick the fridge on for a little bit (watching it closely) if the temperature exceeds 68 or so.

Next gravity reading and therefore taste will be in a week or so when it stops fermenting visibly for a day or two and you can then check the gravity. Since you are new and therefore don't have any beer in your pipeline you're more likely to try to go to bottling too early, so be sure to make sure that the final gravity reading doesn't change for a day or two before bottling. Looks great.

If that is a thermometer strapped to it then you can just slap a piece of bubble wrap, or a dry washcloth over it with some masking tape and you will know the temp inside. Bam! Done.

I bet the liquid temp is a lot closer to ambient in that tight of an enclosure. Check the manufacturer of the yeast to see the temp to ferment at. Don't guess at it. You may be too cold atm.

Back