Carboy - does size matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 5 gal glass carboy that came with my kit. Right now I'm using it as my primary, and was planning on bottling right from the primary, but I've since aquired a 6.5 gal carboy. I'd like to use a secondary this time, but I've been told it's likely that my beer will oxidize if I use the bigger carboy as a secondary, and that I'm better off trusting my sanitation and racking to the 6.5, sanitizing the 5 gal, then racking back into it. Either way seems like it has some pretty significant cons, but which do you all think is more likely: my beer oxidizing from using the bigger carboy or getting contaminated from racking back and forth? I'm thorough on cleanliness, but I'd hate to tempt fate unless it's really worth it.

WalterSobcheck said:
I'd like to use a secondary this time, but I've been told it's likely that my beer will oxidize if I use the bigger carboy as a secondary
That's bunk, IMHO. There will be enough CO2 in the secondary to at least cover your beer with a thin layer and protect it from the oxygen. As long as you're carefull not to splash when you rack, and don't slosh things around too much, your beer will be fine in a 6.5 gal secondary...there are a lot of people here who use 6.5 gallon carboys or buckets for everything.

I would bottle from the primary before I would double rack just to get back to the 5 gallon carboy. I bet you will get more aeration from racking then you would from the extra head space in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy.
All things considered, I would rack into the 6 1/2 and not worry about it.:mug:

When you rack to the 6.5 carboy enough CO2 will outgas to fill the volume and then some.

Well, four out of four can't be wrong. Thanks fellas. I kinda figured this guy was full of something. He had a story for everything.

Just some know-nothing-at-all from my local homebrew shop corrupting my newbie mind. I figured he wasn't on it, so I came here to ask the question. No debate, really.

Dang, I can't believe it took me four posts and two hints to figure out who Walter Sobcheck is...I feel like such a tool. :eek:

t1master said:
most hbs would like you to purchase more equipment, especially if you don't really need it.

You absolutly need a 5.5 gallon carboy for what you're trying to do. Luckily I can sell one to you. ;)

Back