Carbonization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedStone

Reaction score
My question is - do I pitch some yeast in the next 10Liter batch before bottling so give carbonization a chance?

Made my first batch in autumn that I racked to two 10liter carboys. I bottled the first to plastic bottles. I put in a teaspoon of sugar per bottle and let it sit for a week. Never really got any carbonization and wasnt entirely surprised since I put campden tabs in when I racked. I thought I read that the yeast may reactivate and I saw pressure on air lock and thought maybe there was enough yeast to do the trick. Not so which is ok. I don't want a lot of fizz. I'd like to mimic a Sheppy's. I've been sweetening after I pour which I am fine with for now. BTW - tried lots of sweeteners and confectioners sugar is my preferred solution. I've been sampling a decent variety of ciders we have here in Denmark. Man, they are expensive! Really surprised how much they have to be adding flavoring to it. One I tried was really Jolly Rancher-y. But I bought a flavoring concentrate that I'd like to try to give back a little of the original cider taste. Has anyone tried that ? I'll try it on my bottles from the first batch before I go all-in. I know its a bit of a cheat but its organic and its what the commercial ones do (except for Sheppy's but they have their modern equipment I'm sure). I can't wait to try it.

Don't know much about doing cider, but I'm sure if you look up priming calculators for cider on this site, you would find something. When I bottle my beer I batch prime, which works out well for me, but it takes about 2 weeks for carbonation to occur. You might wan to try this method of batch priming.

As far as adding concentrated flavoring, I have used organic apple cider flavor from Nature's Flavors with good results. Be aware that it's incredibly concentrated and if you use too much you'll get that Jolly Rancher effect. Not sure if they ship internationally.

Back