Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How warm are you conditioning them?

1.5 weeks for a wheat @ 70

2 months for a big beer @ 65

There are a lot of factors

Bull

bullinachinashop said:
How warm are you conditioning them?

1.5 weeks for a wheat @ 70

2 months for a big beer @ 65

There are a lot of factors

Bull

IPA conditioning at 72 DF.

I've been conditioning average gravity ales for 3-6 weeks at 70F. Then into the fridge for 5 days. I may cut back to 5 weeks instead of seven,since at 7+,the head seems to dissipate on my ales. More carbonation (bigger initial bubbles),quickly dissipating head. I had maybe 6 bottles out of 30 that had a high,velvety head.

The other factor is bottle size. The larger the bottle the longer it will take.

It seems like that's be true,but not terribly. My 740ml (25.16oz) PET bottles supplied with the cooper's kit Took 2 carb drops instead of 1 that you'd use in 11.2-16oz'rs. At 3 weeks,they carbed up fine,head was good. 7 weeks +,& the reverse is true,carbonation out the wazoo,head gets weaker. So,I figured I'd try 5 weeks max & see if that works out better as a max conditioning time for average gravity brews.
You can check out my gallery to see what I mean.

Hmmm, this makes me wonder when my Nut Brown in the Miller Lite home draft will be ready. I was thinking when the bottles are good, that would be good to, but maybe not...

Back