carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveZ

Reaction score
I like my homebrew to be extremely bubbly (like champagne) but I've only been able to achieve this a couple of times by accident and I don't really know what I did. Can anyone tell me how to coarbonate like this every time?

To achive bubbly beer you have to either over prime or let your newly bottled beer sit in 70+ degree temps for a week or so.

I'd prefer the properly primed second choice.

Adversely, undercarbonated can mean the bottles temp was lower than the 70s.

Watch out for over priming. The more sugar, the more Co2, the more pressure. Just think, 52 little bombs waiting to go off. First one, then two. Four, eight, sixteen..etc. Geometric progression. Stage two: wife or girlfriend leaving you.

When I was in the Navy I thought it was very funny when I phoned home and my wife told me one of my bottles of homemade red wine had blown it's cork spraying the kitchen.
It wasn't as funny at the weekend repainting four walls and a ceilling though :mad:
In hindsight I should've volunteered for a duty or something.

Roger.

i had a friend have his bottles grenade on him...the condensed version of the story is that he ended up in the middle of the night - leather jacket on with gloves taped to the coat - motorcycle helmet carefully removing the rest of the mini shrapnel grenades outside. he had primed too much figuring a little was good and a lot had to be better.

Grenades sound familiar. One of my familys great stories you have described exactly. Dad had a couple cases in the hall closet along with moms various articles of clothing. One bottle let inexorabley to a full chain reaction. He says he was almost a batchelor that night and to this day, smiles in the recalling. Mom hasn't smiled about it yet.

Placing the beer in the fridge will only slow the reaction and might not halt it depending on what yeast you are using. Best case scenario, you are left with somewhat sweet beer due to unfermented sugar.

Back