Carbonation with Yeast for Root Beer - How to Prevent Yeasty Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rootbeer!

Reaction score
Essentially the title.

After completing the batch, I put in the measured amount of yeast (I use champagne yeast) then let it set for a couple days before refrigerating. The problem is that when I run my test batches, I can easily tell that the yeast is still there. I'm struggling to figure out how to prevent the yeast flavor from persisting during my carbonation process. I'm thinking about using less yeast but worry that I won't produce barely any carbonation then.

Are there any tips when carbonating root beer with yeast to prevent (or at least minimize) the yeasty flavor? It ruins my yummy root beer!

Unfortunately, probably not. I use force carbonation for ease and flavor.
Please describe your process and maybe someone can help.

Get the soda really cold once it's carbed up, and then put it in the fridge for a couple of days. That will help the yeast fall out. Then pour it in a solid motion (no up and down) into a pitcher and you'll leave most of the yeast behind.

Get the soda really cold once it's carbed up, and then put it in the fridge for a couple of days. That will help the yeast fall out. Then pour it in a solid motion (no up and down) into a pitcher and you'll leave most of the yeast behind.

Aye, I have tried this as well with the same result.

I settled at 24psi. 40deg f. I start drinking at 2 weeks. 5 gallon keg is still a little under carbonated, but 2.5 gallon keg is fully. I wanted higher carbonation level but settled due to pouring.

Back