Carbonation temperature - too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkUsBrew

Reaction score
I have a couple cases of bottles that have been slow to carbonate. As the AC has been running pretty much 24/7 lately, I moved them to the garage to increase the carbonation temperature. Its probably at least the low 90s in my garage - will this temperature cause any issues with my beer?

The yeast shouldn't produce any noticeable off flavours at that temperature, if that is your concern. However, if you are storing your beer at that temperature for any period of time, I would be concerned about premature staling, particularly if any steps in your procedure aerated the wort/beer.

You might consider letting them carbonate for 4-5 days at that temp, then check them by cracking one bottle. If it is done, then get them in a cool place. If not, let them keep going, but check every day or two. You will consume some green beers this way, but at least it will lessen the likelihood that the whole batch goes stale on you needlessly.

optimum temp for carbonating bottles IMO is 75-80. 90 isn't going to hurt. after they are finished carbonating however, and you are just aging them, best to do is store at "cellar temperates", say 50-60 if possible.

i keep most my bottles at about 70-80 and they do fine. once i feel their at their prime, i try to refrigerate as i don't have any place in my apartment for storing at cellar temps...unfortunately...

Latest posts

Back