Carbonation Loss from Conical to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Any suggestions for preventing carbonation loss while transferring from a conical to a keg without using a spunding valve? Don’t have a SV and not enough time to order one before the party I need to serve this at.

I’m cold crashing an English bitter in my CF10, which I’ll put on Spike’s carb stone before closed transferring to a keg. Is there a formula for overshooting carbonation and landing at the desired amount, or a technique so I don’t have to do the same job of carbonating, twice (in the conical and then again In the kegerator)?

If helpful, I transfer by using CO2 to push the beer out of the CF10, into a CO2-filled keg, which releases the gas into a bucket of sanitizer.

Thanks!

Maybe you can imitate a spunding valve by periodically releasing pressure from the receiving/serving keg during transfer. Best to start with it at almost as much pressure as the sending/fermenter vessel to mitigate foaming.

Back