Carbonation for ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbath

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very new to brewing... Well im making my first batch of ginger beer which is from raw ginger and the gravity reading for the past 2 days are constant. I will probably let it rest for another day before bottling

Question is how long should i carbonate it for? Its at 9.1% ABV and ill be using carbonation drops. Do i leave it for the stsndard 2 weeks? Or does it not need that long for ginger beer?

Im anxious to get my hands dirty for thr next batch.. ;)

9%??? For ginger beer?? Are you sure??

For higher alcohol beers you'll need to allow more time for carbonation to happen. The yeast don't work as well in high alcohol environments. Alcohol is their excrement. Think of it as you living in the sewer. You wouldn't be too happy either. Give it at least a month then check it. You can certainly check them earlier if you'd like. Just don't post any 'my beers not carbonated' posts until at least 6 weeks.

9%??? For ginger beer?? Are you sure??
You can certainly check them earlier if you'd like. Just don't post any 'my beers not carbonated' posts until at least 6 weeks.

This is very true. I have had some brews be nice n foamy in under a week and some that took 3 months before I was satisfied.

I always bottle and test periodically for "science". Really I just want to drink one of them.

Yes, im sure its at 9%.. Checked it a couple of times and its accurate.

Alright, i will leave it for about a month before testing it.
I used the safale s04 yeast for this and a ton of sugar (brown and white)

Yes, im sure its at 9%.. Checked it a couple of times and its accurate.

Alright, i will leave it for about a month before testing it.
I used the safale s04 yeast for this and a ton of sugar (brown and white)

Ok, it's not that I don't believe you but that's a big ginger beer!! It'll carb up, let us know what happens.

I would LOVE to trade a bottle when its all done! SWMBO is crazy for ginger beer and I really would like to try a high ABV one.

YUMMY!

Well, i wouldnt mind but the problem is that i stay in Singapore. ;)

Ive posted up pictures of my brew on facebook and i almost instantly got a dozen of interest...lol

Check this out http://www.txbrewing.com/jerrods-ginger-saison-extract-beer-recipe-kit.html

Very clean ginger flavor! Mine tastes kind of like a ginger soda, not what I was hoping for but it is super drinkable for 5.5%ABV! (mine was an all-grain with a MJ M27 Belgian Ale yeast @ 70F for 3 weeks)

I did 5.5 Oz of dextrose for a 5 gallon batch because I wanted this one to be really bubbly. After 2 1/2 weeks, it may need a bit longer.

Best of luck to your Big Ginger!

Back