Carbonation cap leaking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgl

Reaction score
I bought a couple carbonation caps and tried one out the other day and it was leaking co2. It came with a few o rings so I’m assuming I need to add one to the inside to help seal it but none seem to be the right size. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what I might need to do.

Attachments

• F808C5F4-4DBF-4ADD-BC29-583DDCBF9BDB.jpeg
    F808C5F4-4DBF-4ADD-BC29-583DDCBF9BDB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
This is relative to the metal ones but I assume that the plastic ones are the same.

Have you unscrewed, examined, and reseated the center portion? The piece with the hex portion under the barb is a separate piece with its own o-ring. If it is loose or the o-ring is damaged you would get leakage from there.

EDIT: Again.... that info is based on the metal versions that I have. Please confirm the plastic ones come apart in the same way before applying so much pressure that it breaks only to find out that it isn't the same.

No oring needed but there is a very specific level of crank that has to be given for them to get tight. Once not leaking, don't mess with them! Hand tighten, pressurize vessel and check for leaks with soapy solution, start tightening until you see that there is no more escaping gas.

Thanks for the reply’s. I will take a look at both of these and see if I can get it sealed properly.

Make sure the large o-ring is seated properly, all the way down in the channel. Tighten until it stops leaking but don't over-tighten, as that will deform the o-ring, skew it, or even pop it out of the channel into your bottle.

Are you attaching a hose to the end of the carbonation tap adapter ? I don't have the plastic one, I just bought the metal one (Ferraday) 2 days ago from Amazon and used it for the 1st time to carbonate 12oz PET bottles as samples as I hate to hand out my flip top bottles. It worked very well. I did note in the reviews to make sure you cut a hose the length of your bottle and attach it. The hose attached to the carbonation cap can be used for liquid or CO2. Here's a picture of a length of hose cut for 12oz PET bottles. Good luck !
16356368412782936621941925161124.jpg

I bought two of them and tried another tonight just on a bottle to test it out and it seemed to be holding fine. Maybe I just didn’t have it tight enough.

I bought a couple carbonation caps and tried one out the other day and it was leaking co2. It came with a few o rings so I’m assuming I need to add one to the inside to help seal it but none seem to be the right size. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what I might need to do.
Get a metal one on Amazon. Ferraday sells one on Amazon about $10 and gives you extra O rings. I just bout one this week, works like a charm. Won't break like a plastic cap.

Back