Carbonating through In vs Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREMMELS

Reaction score
Kegged my first beer yesterday and am wondering I you connect the co2 line into the In post on the keg or the Out post. I currently have it connected to the In post at 12psi but have read of people connecting to the Out post.

Which is the recommended method? What is the time difference?

also

Does cold conditioning the beer in the keg like you would a bottle have the same advantages effect on the beer? Or if you keg is there not really the same wait time once its carbonated?

There is no "IN" or "OUT" as things flow whichever way they feel pressured to. Your very question asks about going IN through the OUT.

Carbing from the gas port is simpler, since you leave the gas there, but some feel that bubbling the Co2 in through the liquid side carbs faster because the Co2 bubbles up through the liquid.

Which is the recommended method? What is the time difference?

Realistically there is not much of a difference. I would just hook it up to the "in" post and leave it be. Unless you are using a diffusion stone, I can't see hooking it up to the "out" post doing much to speed things up.

Does cold conditioning the beer in the keg like you would a bottle have the same advantages effect on the beer? Or if you keg is there not really the same wait time once its carbonated?

Yes, cold conditioning the keg will help clear the beer and make it taste "cleaner". You can certainly drink it as soon as it is carbonated though. Your call.

I cold condition all of my lagers, as well as many of my ales. Certain styles though (IPA, heffe, etc) are probably better fresh.

There is no "IN" or "OUT" as things flow whichever way they feel pressured to. Your very question asks about going IN through the OUT.

Carbing from the gas port is simpler, since you leave the gas there, but some feel that bubbling the Co2 in through the liquid side carbs faster because the Co2 bubbles up through the liquid.

I see your point, but on all of my kegs, the posts are stamped "IN" and "OUT". I'm sure that's why the OP worded the question that way.

Carb through the "in" post. I'm guessing you have ball locks. Sometimes they get stuck pretty good if you reverse the ball lock and post. I don't really see a benefit to carbing from the bottom of the keg, in fact it might interupt the clearing of yeast.

With naturally primed kegs (add sugar, wait 3 weeks at room temp), I usuall chill and start to drink 2-3 days later. With force carbed kegs from gas, I try to wait 5-6 days after they are carbed. Sometimes I detect a "bite" from the carbonation process, carbonic acid. Its not a huge deal though.

Realistically there is not much of a difference. I would just hook it up to the "in" post and leave it be. Unless you are using a diffusion stone, I can't see hooking it up to the "out" post doing much to speed things up.

Agreed. I used to do it through the OUT post and it takes just as long as carbing through the IN post.

Get the beer cold, hook up the the IN post, and either follow a carb chart with the set it and forget method, or BierMuncher's plan of 30 PSI for 2 days, purge and drop the psi, and let it ride a few more hours. Ive been doing the ladder for the past couple beers and have been satisfied with the outcome.

Do NOT connect it to the out!
Why?
1. The consensus around is that it doesn't make it carb faster.
2. DANGER (see below)

I brewed up a 5 gal batch and split it into two kegs, one for me one for Dad. I didn't know, and still don't know, the best way(for me) to carb so on to HBT I went. After reading a bunch I told Dad all about set and wait, the 'rock', the high pressure / purge / low pressure, the in vs out. I chose the set (about 12psi) and wait. Dad chose gas to the OUT, 30psi for 2 days. Well, what happens when your setup is set to serve beer at 12psi? You may not have clamps on all of your lines. 1 day at 30psi, the next day the line blows off and 30 pounds of pressure blows all of your beer out the out (which you used to have hooked up to gas in) all over your bar! Every bit of beer gone into a sticky mess in the fridge and all over the floor.

I am still way new to the brew - 3 AG under the belt, first time poster long time reader. I just happened to see the question thought I should share. I hope it helps someone or you just get a chuckle out of it.

-beershirt

alright thanks for the tips. I guess I'll play the waiting game this first time around. but I did swap out my micromatic shut off valve with a check valve so I should be in good shape in case I decide to roll the keg around to speed things up.

Hook the CO2 to an OUT disconnect and put it on the OUT. Set the gauge at 30 psi and shake the keg for one minute. You will hear the gas bubbling up. After a minute reduce the pressure a little and shake until the guage quits going down. Reduce it some more and repeat until you get the gauge to the proper pressure to achieve the Volume of CO2 required at the temperature of your beer. (The reason you do this a little at a time is so the high pressure in the keg doesn't push beer into your gauge!) Now keep shaking until you don't hear the gas bubbling anymore. Done. You can pour a beer right now but it's better to wait roughly an hour to settle. Nice and creamy!

One could do all of ^that^ through the In post like most do...

Cheers!

Shaking the keg by grabbing the handles is easier than turning the keg upside down. The reason you want to have it bubbling up through the beer is so you know when your done. No more bubbles? Time for a beer!

The two times I've ever done the shake'n'bake carb I did it through the gas post with the pressure set the same as my set'n'forget carb/dispensing pressure and just rocked the keg until the gas flow stopped - which was obvious by the lack of regulator noise...

Cheers!

The two times I've ever done the shake'n'bake carb I did it through the gas post with the pressure set the same as my set'n'forget carb/dispensing pressure and just rocked the keg until the gas flow stopped - which was obvious by the lack of regulator noise...

Cheers!

See, there's the problem. The lack of regulator noise is not OBVIOUS! That's because your hearing is better than mine!:D

Back