Carbonating my IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen424

Reaction score
So I made a IIPA that I got from midwest brew supplies. Its supposed to be a higher ABV. The kit came with 5oz. of priming sugar. How long is this gonna take to carbonate? I have opened three botlles week 2 3 and 4. They are grolsch style bottles and are in the fridge but still pour without any fuzz.

I'd take them out of the fridge immediately, and turn them end over end to resuspend any flocculated yeast. I'd put them at 70-75 degrees for about three weeks, then chill one and try again. They should carb up but it might take a few more weeks.

Will bottles carb at 68 degrees? It's hard to keep 70 to 75 right now with temps dropping at night in my bar area?

My IIPA (8.5% ABV, 112 IBU's) took 4 weeks at 75˚+ to carbonate. Within the first two weeks I agitated them I think only once. Between 2 and 4 weeks I agitated 2 or 3 times and now they are carbed WONDERFULLY. I primed with ~4.5 oz of corn sugar.

I'd take them out of the fridge immediately, and turn them end over end to resuspend any flocculated yeast. I'd put them at 70-75 degrees for about three weeks, then chill one and try again. They should carb up but it might take a few more weeks.

+1 to this. Take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp.

I checked one that wasnt sitting on a concrete 55 degree floor and it popped like a champagne bottle. I think after doing my usual checks it was best to not put them in the fridge. Its good to learn from your mistakes cause you wont do it again. 70 degrees three weeks.

I checked one that wasnt sitting on a concrete 55 degree floor and it popped like a champagne bottle. I think after doing my usual checks it was best to not put them in the fridge. Its good to learn from your mistakes cause you wont do it again. 70 degrees three weeks.

Useful video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back