Carbonating cider with a pressurized seltzer bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepke

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer with exract for a while now and thought it would be fun to try my hand at hard ciders.

I've read that making a sweet cider and carbonating it in a bottle is almost impossible and I don't have the gear for kegging nor the space to store it all whilst living in an apartment.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using one of those old school, pressurized seltzer bottles to force the CO2 into solution?

I figure it would be cost effective and is small enough to keep out of the way when not in use.

Thanks every one!!
Ken~

+1 for stove top pasteurization, although be very careful--you'll see the discussion in Mike's link about the risk of exploding bottles. I've done it several times and have had no problems whatsoever. Additionally, I have a seltzer bottle and have used it to carbonate cider. Mine (from Williams Sonoma for $70 here works pretty well, although there are times when I want a little more carbonation out of it, primarily for seltzer water or tonics. For cider, which I like a little less carbonated, it works great.

Back