Carbing up a flat batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak99654

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two batches of cider that have developed hardly any carbonation, even after two months. The first batch is flat after a year. I would like to get some fizz into these bottles. Should I pour everything back into a bucket, add more yeast and sugar, and rebottle?

Thanks!

Full story:

5 gal apple juice
5 lbs. sugar
champagne yeast

1 week primary
1 week secondary
bottled with corn sugar tablets (1st batch) and white sugar (2nd batch) in each bottle.
stored in the shade (but have had a couple days around 100 degrees here in California)

I did the exact same thing with different yeast for an earlier batch, which carbed up fine in the bottle.

You could do that and get an even distribution of priming sugar and yeast, but then you would have to re-bottle the entire batch, which is a pain and requires more equipment and cleaning afterward.

Rather, make a starter, uncap each bottle and add desired priming sugar and distribute starter as evenly as you can into each bottle. This way will result in mild inconsistencies (mostly in carbing time) between bottles but seems like way less work.

Woah, that is some strong stuff if you were using the same apple juice I use, cause that would be about 12% if all fermented out. I dont see that as being too much of a problem though as you have champagne yeast.

AK - this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway - what was your starting and finishing gravity when you made the cider? Most brands of apple juice are preservative heavy - that could have an impact on the finished product.

Thanks for the help! Not sure of the SG as I only recently got a hydrometer. But I'd say, given the booziness, that yes, it's pretty strong. All that sugar plus more or less tasteless grocery store apple juice (no preservatives, though) adds up to not a lot of flavor— will get some locally pressed juice in the fall for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back