Carbing level of 0.64g CO2 / 100ml

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora_colony_cider

Reaction score
Hello,

I usually stick my cider in a corny keg, chill it to 35f, blast it with 20 PSI for a couple weeks and everyone's happy.

But now I have to stick to a max of 0.64g CO2 / 100ml to meet federal cider laws.

Can anyone here translate that to the good old fashioned carbonation chart like this?

Forced_Carbonation_Chart.jpg

Thanks, guys.

R.

The conversion factor from volumes of CO2 to CO2 by weight (g/L) is 1.96.
For example: 2.5 volumes x 1.96 = 4.9 g/l which is equivalent to .49 g/100 ml.
To convert back to volumes, multiply by 0.51 (the inverse of 1.96).

So your .64 g/100ml limit is equivalent to 6.4 g/L which is equivalent to 3.264 volumes of CO2...

Cheers!

Well, we know that a mole of gas at STP takes up 22.4 liters of volume. And we know that a mole of CO2 weighs 44 grams (one carbon with atomic weight of 12 and two oxygens with atomic weight of 16 each for a total of 44). So, 0.64 grams would take up the volume of 0.64/44*22.4=0.326 liters or 326 ml.

Since the regulations say that you have to have less than 326 ml of gas (CO2) in your 100 ml of cider, you have to keep the number of volumes less than 326/100 or 3.26. Basically, any combination of temperature and pressure to keep you below the center of the yellow band.

At least that’s how I would do it.

Edited: Checked my math. I fat-fingered something in my calculator. The minor difference between my calls and day-trippers is fixed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back