carbination pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetchicken6

Reaction score
I carbinated my beer at 12psi for a week and let it sit. The carbonation is fine, however when i pour my beer, the beer comes out real fast and the whole glass is foam. Are you supposed to drop your pressure after carbination or do you keep it at 12 the whole time?

you'll need to drop the pressure to serve. try 3-4 psi and see how much foam you are getting. if the beer is barely trickling out, bump the pressure up to 6-7.

i leave mine at about 12 12.5. how long is your line? is there any part of it that isn't cold?

I've got 10 feet of 3/16" line on one of my taps. Right now it has 18 PSI on it and it pours real nice. Usually run it at 12, but I am try to carb something up a little on the heavy side.

if you have a pressure relief valve you can vent the keg right before the pour. It's not ideal, but it'll give you a decent pour with what you have.

You need 5-10 feet of 3/16th ID hose to get enough restriction, if your going to be pushing around 12 psi at 38-40 F.Try starting with 8-10 feet, and see if that works. If it still pours to slow, just cut off 6 inch setions at a time, till you get the right balance. I find that 5 feet usually isn't enough at 12 psi, thats why I suggest to start with the longer piece first, and work your way down from there. Hope this helps!! Cheers!!

If you lower your psi to "serving temp" your beer will lower itself to serving psi over time.

Longer hose. Leave at desired level to pour.

Back