Carapils & Vienna malt for Centennial Blonde - How to roast/Kiln?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy9pints

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

If you'd like to skip to the question, I have highlighted that below.

James, AKA Jimmy9Pints here. Quick intro since this is my first post here:
I'm British, live in China - where good beer is rare!
I have been brewing on and off for.....almost 20 years. Jeez. Wow. I have recently restarted brewing after a long hiatus. Brewing used to be about maximum alcohol for minumum spend. Now it's about quality.

I have been brewing beer again recently for the last 4 months or so and I have been really really impressed with what has been coming out of our brewery! I am keen to get on with more quality brews.

I can get many basic ingredients here, including a wide range of malts from standard 2 row brewers, through to 10L and right through to 500L. Rarely do the brew suppliers call them by name (Chateu something, or Munich something) - indeed, this is more of a commodity market, which means lack of brands but low prices.

I am planning to make the famous Centennial Blonde. I have some, but not all of the ingredients. Here is the grain bill I am following:

2-Row Brewers Malt 3.18 kg 80 % Mash 37
Caramel Pils 340 g 8% Mash 30
Caramel Malt 10L 227 g 5 % Mash 34
Vienna Malt 227 g 5 % Mash 36

The 2 row and Caramel malt 10L are covered. I got those in stock.

The caramel pils and the Vienna malt are the challange.

Question:
I have just ordered a 50kg of standard 2 row brewers malt, so I would like to know if it's possible to create the missing malts (Vienna, Caramel Pils) in the oven.
I am interested in making the Vienna malt, but couldn't find the conditions (heat, moisture etc.) that I would need to successfully create that.
Additionally, if caramel pils is the same as "carapils", I belive that is a dextrine malt. I have maltodextrine, which I belive has a similar effect in terms of mouth feel, body and head retention.

I have searched and searched, but without ordering these malts from the US, UK or Aus (for crazy prices) I am not going to be able to get them. So please help me create them!

Thank you for any help!

Jimmy.

So, following this up with some of my research findings, in case this helps others:

From Wikipedia:
"Vienna malt or Helles malt is the characteristic grain of Vienna lager and Märzen; although it generally takes up only ten to fifteen percent of the grain bill in a beer, it can be used as a base malt. It has sufficient enzymatic power to self-convert, and it is somewhat darker and kilned at a higher temperature than Pilsner malt. ASBC 3-4/EBC 7-10, DP 50 °Lintner."

From Mosquito Bytes:
"Pale and pilsner malt are generally kilned at temperatures of about 176-185° F (80-85° C) . Vienna and Munich malts are kilned at a somewhat higher temperature. They are kilned at about 185-194° F (85-90° C) and 221° F (105° C) respectively."

"Crystal and Cara-pils (dextrin) malt are produced in a somewhat different manner in that the malt does not go through the initial drying phase. The green malt is placed in a kiln and the temperature is raised to 150-170° F (66-77° C) for 1.5-2 hours. The malt is heated without ventilation so as to prevent evaporation. During this "stewing" period the relatively high water content of the malt combined with the kiln temperature result in enzymatic reactions taking place within the individual malt kernels that are normally associated with mashing (i.e. starches are converted to sugars)"

From beercolor.com:
"Vienna....A darker color is obtained by modifying the malt and curing it at 194 °F (90 °C)."

"[Vienna malt is] Created using methods similar to those of Munich malt except that the Harrington malt is kilned at lower temperatures for a shorter period of time"

Back